Happy Friday! What a long week it’s been for me. Thank God for apple week though. It’s really is exciting for me to be sharing some of these recipes with you! It for sure will not be the last apple recipe I share with you, but it’s also the end of my best week ever! Thanks to all of you for the awesome love that you all have showed me this week! As such, I am going to share a little secret with you. Whenever I make apple pie filling for a dessert, I cook the apples down real soft, which leaves a caramelized sauce at the bottom. I carefully remove my apples and then jar the remaining sauce to pour over ice cream or other treats. It makes for an AMAZING sauce.
To end apple week, I am sharing these Oatmeal Apple Pie Bars. For one reason or another, I just like brown sugar oatmeal crusts with my apple pie. Bonus, this crust has graham crackers as well! These bars were made specially for my cousin who is about to welcome a new baby boy into this world! I adore her because she is constantly commenting on my Instagram about the treats I post, so I put together a nice little package with some these apple pie bars, cake batter cookie dough truffles (stay tuned next week) and some cupcakes baked in jars. She told me these Oatmeal Apple Pie Bars were a hit!
I baked these in a 9×9 pan because I wanted a deep dish apple pie bar. I always bake my apple pie filling with maple syrup because, well, they just go hand and hand for me.
- Preheat oven to 350° and prepare the pie filling.
- Peel and slice your apples into small pieces; about the size of a dime. Place in a medium size saucepan. Squeeze the juice from a whole lemon over the apples.
- Add all of your dry ingredients: flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and apple pie spice. Mix all ingredients well and then add maple syrup.
- Using a saucepan on medium-high heat, cook the apples for about 15-18 minutes until they begin to brown and bubble. Remove from heat cool slightly.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, combine oatmeal, graham cracker, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Prepare the crust mixture. Pour melted butter over dry ingredients and mix thoroughly with a spatula, leaving no dry ingredients. Reserve 1 cup of the mix for the topping.
- Line a 9x9” pan with tin foil, covering the bottom and the sides. Pour crust mixture in the bottom of the pan and pat down firmly.
- Pour apple pie filling on top of crust and spread out evenly. Cover with remaining crust mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 24-28 minutes until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before removing bar.
- Once cooled, you can lift the tin foil right out of the pan!
These apple pie bars are pretty easy to whip together and just another excuse to go out and buy more apples! You could even dress them up with a caramel sauce! Hmm…why didn’t I do that?
Don’t miss everyone’s favorite apple recipes on the blog this week!
More favorites from the web:
Caramel Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls from The Domestic Rebel
Caramelized Apple and Cheddar Cheese Soft Pretzels by Half Baked Harvest
Spiced Pumpkin Apple Dump Cake by Crazy for Crust