These Soft-Baked Molasses Gingerbread Cookies are crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. I topped them with a brown butter maple glaze that is sure to impress your friends.
Day three of cookie week and I am here sharing these Soft-Baked Molasses Cookies with a Brown Butter Maple Glaze. I know that’s a mouthful, but when you have a mouthful of these cookies, you won’t be sorry!
Do you call them gingerbread cookies or molasses cookies? I don’t know what’s more appropriate; I am inclined to call them gingerbread cookies. These cookies are perfectly baked with a crispy edge and a soft middle. Isn’t that how every cookie should be?
My friends Anna and Lisa over at Garnish with Lemon gave me some Gingerbread Sugar when I met them during the Iowa Corn Quest tour. That is when I knew I had to make a gingerbread cookie this holiday season.
You don’t need to have this gingerbread sugar in order to make this recipe, but I did roll my cookies in a cinnamon and sugar coating before baking. It’s sort of reminiscent of a snickerdoodle.
This recipe is a bit near and dear to my heart. My grandmother on my mom’s side died suddenly at the age of 76. I was younger than 10 years old when she died. However, she was the one who gave me my nickname, “Sugar”, and she’s the one I got my sweet tooth from. Her spread of Christmas cookies was downright amazing!
This recipe is from her church cookbook. She got together with her friends at the church and they made a cookbook where they all exchanged their favorite recipes. My mom still has her church cookbooks and this recipe is from Pat Roach. Thank you Pat, whoever you might be. This recipe is amazing!
Keep up with all the happenings.
Follow Beyond Frosting:
- ½ C Soft Unsalted butter
- ¾ C Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 C Molasses
- 2 ½ C Flour, sifted
- 1 ½ tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ Ginger
- ½ tsp Cloves
- ¾ C sugar
- 3 tbsp Cinnamon
- ¾ C Powdered sugar
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 4 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Milk (if needed)
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Soften butter in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Combine softened butter with sugar in a mixing bowl. Cream until butter and sugar are well mixed.
- Add egg and beat until incorporated. Add molasses and beat until well mixed.
- Sift flour into a small side bowl. Combine sifted flour with baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Stir to combine ingredients before adding to the mixer.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to mixer.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Roll cookie dough into balls, about 1 tablespoon in size. Roll dough balls in cinnamon sugar mixture and place these cookies on your baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the pan for at least 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Prepare glaze and top cookies with brown butter maple glaze.
- For the glaze:
- Sift powered sugar. This step is necessary to create a smooth glaze. Add cinnamon.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Once melted, continue to stir until butter turns a golden brown.
- Pour melted butter over powdered sugar. Add maple syrup and whisk until smooth.
- To make glaze thinner, add additional a little milk if needed.
- Use a Ziploc bag or a spoon to drizzle glaze onto cooled cookies.
Recipes from my friends:
Over 50 Gingerbread recipes from Crazy from Crust
Bourbon Gingerbread Cheesecake from Beth Cakes
Gingerbread Cupcakes with Molasses Cream Cheese Icing from Life Love and Sugar
Other recipes from Beyond Frosting you might light: