This Eggnog Coffee Cake is full of flavors varying from spiced rum to nutmeg and plenty of eggnog. It is even topped with a buttery brown sugar streusel.
I hope you guys don’t mind, I have a few more seasonal recipes to share with you! Since I am assuming you still have room for sweets, and surely there is some eggnog in the back of your refrigerator. Well I have got you covered!
Pull that leftover eggnog out of the refrigerator and make yourself a batch of this Eggnog Coffee Cake. This is sort of the ultimate indulgent breakfast cake, and I am not going to even pretend it is healthy for you, because it’s not!
This coffee cake base recipe has made it’s way through a few of my recipes including a Bourbon Peach Pound Cake and most recently, my Cranberry Orange Pound Cake. The base recipe can be altered in various flavors to suite your needs! In this case, it’s eggnog. My friend Aimee also posted and Eggnog Coffee Cake last week, and I am drooling over her Eggnog glaze!
This is a dense cake spiced with nutmeg and flavored with eggnog. The original recipe calls for milk, which I just substituted with eggnog instead.
The topping is a crunchy brown sugar based streusel. There is more flour in the streusel than there is sugar which produces a more crunchy crumb. It sort of reminds me of your typical New York Coffee Cake recipe. Do you see the large chunks of streusel in these photos? Nom nom nom.
Here is the trick with this recipe: do not add the streusel right away! Allow the cake to bake for 30 minutes before adding the streusel. This will prevent the streusel from collapsing into the cake. I simply opened the oven and quickly sprinkled it on top. It’s like magic.
This coffee cake has a large amount of batter, so it does have to bake for quite some time. I baked this in a 9” by 13” pan, but it can also be baked in a bundt pan. If you choose to make it in a bundt pan, be sure to grease and flour the pan very well. You will need to adjust the baking time accordingly. Either way you will be satisfied!
Keep up with all the happenings. Subscribe at the end of this post.
Follow Beyond Frosting:
- 1 C (2 sticks) Unsalted butter- at room temperature
- ½ C Crisco
- 3 C Sugar
- 5 Large eggs- at room temperature
- 2 tbsp Spiced rum (optional or substitute with Vanilla extract)
- 3 C All-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Nutmeg
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1¼ C Eggnog
- For the streusel
- ¾ C Flour
- ¼ C Brown sugar
- ½ C (1 stick) Unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Allow eggs and butter to come to room temperature. Cream together the butter, and Crisco until smooth. Beat in sugar and cream it until well blended. Don’t rush this step; allow to beat for at least 5 minutes.
- Slowly add eggs 1 at a time and make sure each one is well mixed.
- Once all eggs have been blended into the batter, add rum and mix to combine. Scrape down the sides of the bowls
- In a separate bowl, sift flour first and then measure out 3 cups.
- Add half of the dry ingredients and then half of the eggnog and mix until combined. Add the second half of your dry ingredients, followed by the remaining eggnog. Continue to beat until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour batter into a 9" x 13” pan.
- Prepare the streusel by combining the flour and brown sugar together. Cut the butter into smaller pieces and then crush into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or a couple of forks. Mash together until the butter is crumbled into the flour. You will add the streusel after 30 minutes of baking
- Bake at 325° for 65-72 minutes. Set the timer for 30 minutes, open the oven and sprinkle the streusel on top.
- After about 45 minutes of baking, the cake will start to brown on top. You can cover with tin foil for 10-15 minutes. Then remove for the foil for the last few minutes.
- Check to see if your cake is done by inserting a toothpick into the middle. If it comes out clean, your cake is done. Baking times may vary by oven. Allow to cool before cutting.
Recipes from my friends:
Champagne Pound Cake from Crazy for Crust
Whole Wheat Waffles with Eggnog Cream Sauce from Food Faith Fitness
Cranberry Eggnog Crumb Coffee Cake from Call me PC
Other recipes you might like: