The mouthwatering Triple Chocolate Brownie Mousse Cake is so sinful. There’s a fudgy brownie on the bottom, a layer of easy chocolate mousse and finally a layer of mouthwatering brownie batter mousse.
- For the brownie layer:
- 1 package fudgy chocolate brownie mix (19.9 oz)
- Ingredients listed on the box: oil, eggs, water
- For the chocolate mousse:
- 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1 teaspoon gelatin, divided
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup plus 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 package (8oz) cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the brownie batter mousse:
- 1 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup dry brownie mix
- 1 cup chopped brownies, store bought other
- For the chocolate ganache (optional):
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- For the whipped cream topping:
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- For the brownie layer: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform panwith parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the brownie mix, with the ingredients listed on the box. Stir until the batter is well combined and there are no dry ingredients left.
- Pour the batter into the springform pan and spread evenly. Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes until the center is baked but still slightly fudgy. Allow the brownie to cool completely.
- For the chocolate mousse: In a small dish, combine 1 tablespoon of cold water with 1 teaspoon gelatin. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water and allow it to set to a solid (2-3 minutes).
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the mini chocolate chips and 2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream. Microwave in 30 second increments until the chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally.
- Microwave the gelatin for 8-10 seconds until it turns back to a liquid. Pour the liquid gelatin into the melted chocolate and stir to combine. Set the chocolate aside.
- Place a medium-sized metal mixing bowl in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to chill.
- Pour 1 cup of heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and beat on medium-high speed until the heavy cream starts to thicken. Slowly add the powdered sugar and continuing beating on high speed until stiff peaks form. Set the whipped cream aside.
- Allow the cream cheese to soften to room temperature or microwave for 20 seconds. Beat the softened cream cheese on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes, until the cream cheese is completely smooth, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Add the granulated sugar and beat until well combined. Next, add the cocoa powder and beat until well combined, scraping down the bowl occasionally.
- Slowly add 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream and then 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and continue beating until combined.
- Next, add the melted chocolate and mix thoroughly into the cream cheese mixture.
- Finally, fold the prepared whipped cream into the cream cheese and stir gently until the mixture is well combined.
- Place the cooled brownie in the bottom of the springform pan lined with parchment paper. It’s helpful to line the sides with parchment paper or a cake collar.
- Pour the chocolate mouse over top of the cooled brownie and refrigerate while you prepare the next layer.
- For the brownie batter mousse: Place the mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to chill while you are preparing the next steps.
- In a small dish, combine 1 tablespoon of cold water with 1 teaspoon gelatin. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water and allow it to set to a solid (2-3 minutes).Next, melt the solid gelatin in the microwave for 8-10 seconds until it turns back to a liquid. Watch it closely!
- Prepare the whipping cream. Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream thickens. Slowly add the dry brownie mix and continue beating on high speed until peaks start to form.
- Slowly pour the liquid gelatin into the mixing bowl and continue mixing until stiff peaks form.
- Chop 1 cup of the prepared brownies into small pieces, about the size of a dime or smaller and gently fold them into the brownie batter mousse. Pour the brownie batter mousse over the chocolate mousse.
- Refrigerate the cake for 4-6 hours until the mousse layers are set.
- For the chocolate ganache: Prior to serving, remove the sides of the springform pan and prepare the ganache. In a microwave-safe dish, combine the chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream. Microwave for 30-60 seconds until the chocolate starts to melt. Stir until the chocolate is completely smooth. The chocolate should run smoothly off your spoon. If it is still too thick, add additional heavy whipping cream.
- Use a piping bag or spoon and gently pour the ganache along the edges of the cake. The chocolate will run down the sides.
- For the whipped cream topping: Prior to serving, prepare the toppings. Place a medium-sized metal mixing bowl in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to chill.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and beat on medium-high speed until the heavy cream starts to thicken. Slowly add the powdered sugar and continuing beating on high speed until stiff peaks form. Pipe the decorative boarder using a large open star tip.
- Garnish with leftover brownies.
For the brownie in the top layer (brownie batter mousse), I purchased store bought brownies, which I also used for garnish.