Dive face first into this No-Bake Key Lime Mousse Pie. The Nilla Wafer crust is filled with a white chocolate key lime mousse, and a layer of cookies and whipped cream on top. Plenty of key lime to go around.
I hope you all had a very nice July 4th holiday weekend. We kept things pretty mellow over here. Both of us have done quite a bit of traveling so when I thought about how I would spend my 4-day weekend, I wanted no plans. I wanted to just relax and go with the flow, make dinner, watch movies and sleep in. Of course, I had to do a bit of work, but it was on my own time!
Tomorrow my mom gets into town. The last time she came to visit was about a year ago when I had no furniture except my bed, my TV (on the floor), and a lone camping chair. Ah, the joys of moving. This time around we are all moved in and have plenty of places to sit and even a real guest bedroom. While she’s in town, we have plans to go shopping for my wedding dress! I am a little nervous, but hopeful that I will fall in love with a dress!
In preparation for the wedding dress shopping, I think I will skip the desserts this week, which is easier said than done, especially if this No-Bake Key Lime Mousse Pie is involved. In true fashion, once I find a dessert that I am head over heels for, I like to make it in a few different flavors.
I’ve made this mousse pie in variations such as Oreo and funfetti and I’ve also added a brownie bottom. The key to the mousse pie is that there are a few different layers for you to discover. The bottom layer is usually a chocolate mousse, in this case, white chocolate mixed with some cream cheese and whipped cream. The top layer is an easy mousse made with whipped cream and crushed cookies.
This Key Lime Mousse Pie starts with a Nilla Wafer crust, then a layer of white chocolate key lime mousse, then a lime and cookie mousse on top of that. Finish this off with some crushed Nilla Wafers and more lime zest!
I just love how tiny the key limes are, but they can be difficult to work with. I used actual key limes in this recipe, but you have the option to use a regular lime zest or bottled key lime juice. First you can zest the key limes, and then you can squeeze the juice out of them. I found that 2 key limes produce about 1 tablespoon of key lime juice. I usually just buy the big bags of key limes, and then find an excuse to make more desserts with the leftover key limes!
There are a few steps to make this recipe, but generally you’re just repeating similar things. For instance, I prefer to make separate batches of whipped cream, so that each one is stable and thick. I might make them all at one time and then set them in the fridge so I can grab them as needed.
One thing you’ll need for this recipe is a 9-inch spring form pan that is at least 3-inches tall, then you can build all the layers in the spring form pan. If you have a 10-inch pan, that’s fine too, it just won’t be as tall. If you don’t have a spring form pan, then I would suggest a 9-inch square pan and you can cut these into bars.
This No-Bake Key Lime Mousse Pie screams summer time. Make sure you grab a fork large enough to get through each layer, and it will just melt in your mouth!
Follow Beyond Frosting:
If you love no-bake recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, No-Bake Treats!
Don’t miss a thing, subscribe to get recipes delivered to your inbox!Print
This No-Bake Key Lime Mousse Pie starts with a Nilla Wafer crust, then a layer of white chocolate key lime mousse, then a lime and cookie mousse on top of that. Finish this off with some crushed Nilla Wafers and more lime zest!
For the crust:
- 1 box Nilla Wafers (14 oz)
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
For the white chocolate layer:
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- 6 ounces white chocolate
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 key limes, zested and juiced
For the mousse layer:
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- 1 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 4 key limes, zested
- 1 tablespoons key lime juice
- 10 Nilla wafers
For the topping:
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 5 Nilla wafers for garnish
- 2-3 key limes for garnish
- For the crust: Prepare a 9-inch springform pan by lightly greasing the edges of the pan with cooking spray, and then wiping gently with a paper towel.
- Remove 15 Nilla Wafers from the package (set them aside) and grind the rest into a fine crumb using a food processor or blender.
- In a small bowl, melt the butter in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds. Pour the melted butter over the cookie crumbs and stir until the crumbs are well coated.
- Pour the crumbs into your springform pan and press firmly into the bottom and up on the sides to create a thick crust. Refrigerate the crust while you are preparing the filling.
- Place the mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to chill while you are preparing the next steps.
- For the white chocolate layer: Place 1 tablespoon of cold water in a small dish. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water, trying to spread the powder evenly. Allow the gelatin to turn to a solid (about 2-3 minutes).
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the white chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream. Microwave at 50% power in 30-second increments, stirring each time until the chocolate is melted.
- Next, melt the gelatin in the microwave for 5-8 seconds until it turns back to a liquid. Watch it closely! Stir the liquid gelatin into the melted chocolate and set it aside to cool.
- Prepare the whipped cream. Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream starts to thicken. Slowly add the powdered sugar and continue beating on high speed until stiff peaks form. Set the whipped cream aside.
- Soften the unwrapped cream cheese in the microwave for 15 seconds. Change the mixer to the paddle attachment and beat the cream cheese until it’s completely smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed, and add the melted chocolate, beating until it’s completely mixed into the cream cheese.
- Next add the key lime zest and the key lime juice and continue mixing until it’s well blended into the cream cheese.
- Lastly, fold in the prepared whipped cream and mix until all ingredients are combined. Pour the filling into the prepared crust, spread evenly and refrigerate.
- For the mousse layer: Wash and dry your mixing bowl. Place the mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to chill while you are preparing the next steps.
- Place 1 tablespoon of cold water in a small dish. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water, trying to spread the powder evenly. Allow the gelatin to turn to a solid (about 2-3 minutes).
- Next, melt the solid gelatin in the microwave for 5-8 seconds until it turns back to a liquid. Watch it closely!
- Prepare the whipping cream. Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream starts to thicken.
- First, add the key lime juice and lime zest, then slowly add the powdered sugar and continue beating on high speed until peaks start to form.
- Slowly pour the liquid gelatin into the mixing bowl and continue mixing until stiff peaks form.
- In a small Ziploc bag, roughly smash 10 Nilla wafer cookies into small pieces/crumbs. Fold the smashed cookies into the prepared whipped cream. Pour the whipped cream over the chocolate layer and spread evenly.
- Refrigerate the pie for 3 to 4 hours until all layers are firm. When ready, remove the sides of the pan and prepare the toppings before serving.
- For the topping: Prepare another batch of whipped cream by placing your bowl in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. To prepare the whipped cream, pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream starts to thicken. Slowly add the powdered sugar and continue beating on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Pipe the borders of the pie with whipped cream using a large open star tip. Garnish with the remaining 5 Nilla wafers (crushed) and additional key lime zest. This pie must stay refrigerated.
You might also like: