For the muffin
- 2 C All-purpose flour
- 3 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 C Zulka Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Large egg
- 1/2 C Melted butter
- 1/2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1 C Buttermilk
- 1/2 C Sour cream
- 1 1/4 C Blueberries
- 2 tbsp Butter at room temperature
- 1/4 C Flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
For the the muffins
- Wash and rinse blueberries under water and set aside in a small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together flour. Measure ¼ C of the sifted flour and pour over blueberries. Gently stir to coat the blueberries in flour.
- Take your remaining flour and add baking powder, the salt, cinnamon and sugar. Then set this mixture aside.
- In a medium size bowl, beat the egg using a whisk until light and fluffy. Add melted butter and whisk together with the egg. Continue to add vanilla, buttermilk and sour cream and whisk everything together until smooth.
- Slowly pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a wooden spoon to mix just until combined. Your batter will be thick, but careful not to over mix! Lastly, fold in the blueberries
- Grease your muffin pan with Crisco. I like to use Crisco instead of oil spray, but a spray works fine too.
- Fill your muffin tin all the way to the top with batter. Add 1 tablespoon of streusel to the top of each muffin. See below for streusel recipe.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425° and then reduce heat to 350° and bake for another 16-20 minutes. Do not open the oven for at least 15 minutes, you will see how nicely the muffins rise. Baking times will vary by oven.
- Check your muffins for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the muffin. If your toothpick comes out clean, your muffin is done. Allow muffins to cool completely in the pan. You can also cool on a wire rack, but you want to allow them to cool enough to remove and transport them out of the pan.
- To make the streusel topping, combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and use a pastry cutter or a fork to blend the butter into the dry ingredients until crumbly. There should be no large chunks of butter remaining.
- Cover each muffin with about a tablespoon of streusel. No need to skimp on this!