- 5 large egg whites
- 1 C plus 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 lb (4 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp pure coconut extract
- Temper egg whites and sugar in a heatproof bowl over a pot of water on medium heat. I usually use the metal bowl from my stand mixer. You need just enough water to cover the bottom of the pot. Heat the mixture to 150°F. Make sure to stir constantly to avoid cooking the egg whites.
- Remove the sugar and egg whites from heat. Using a wire whisk on your stand mixer, beat on low for two minutes. Increase to medium speed for five minutes. Increase speed to high and beat until stiff peaks form, about 3-5 more minutes.
- Next, reduce speed to low and add butter 1 tbsp at a time, ensuring each addition is well mixed.
- Add coconut extract and beat for another minute or two with the wire whisk.
- Change your mixer attachment to the paddle attachment continue to beat on medium speed until well incorporated and glossy. It took several more minutes for me to achieve the consistency I was looking for.