OH MY GOSH, I am kinda excited about this Seven Layer Frosting. I love cupcakes; I really believe that the frosting can make or break a cupcake. I was never a huge fan of frosting, until I started to make my own. I used to eat the cake all the way around and leave the frosting on my plate.
Well I was looking to try some new frosting recently. I have been on kind of a coconut and chocolate kick; see Pina Colada Cupcake or Chunky Monkey Layer Bars. I was inspired by high hat S’mores frosting and I wanted to try a different frosting with graham cracker mixed in.
DING DING! Enter Seven Layer Frosting. This has all the fixings for a seven layer bar, including the condensed milk right in the frosting! It isn’t overly sweet, but you would never know how many things are mixed in. It’s important with this frosting that you grind everything up in a food processor so there are no large chunks; also so that you can use a piping bag if you wish.
I like a lot of frosting piled high, but if that’s not your thing, you should half the recipe below.Print
- 4 sticks (1 lb) butter at room temperature
- 5 C Powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp Sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp Caramel sauce
- 1/3 C Dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 C Milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 C Shredded coconut
- 1/2 C Graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 C Walnuts
- Ensure your frosting is at room temperature, but not so soft to the point where it is melting.
- Using a stand mixer, beat the butter for several minutes until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add powdered sugar. I add 2 cups of powdered sugar, followed by the vanilla extract.
- Next add another 2 cups of powdered sugar followed by the heavy whipping cream. Add the last cup of powdered sugar followed by the caramel sauce. The reason I alternate sugar with a liquid is to help ensure my frosting is being properly mixed and help my mixer not get
- I used a food processor to separately grind up the remaining ingredients. I even grinded up the walnuts into smaller pieces.
I am seriously OBSESSED with this frosting. It’s smooth and creamy and full of flavor. You can increase, decrease or omit ingredients based on your taste.