Ever since I discovered root beer extract I have been dying to make these cupcakes. Root beer is reminiscent of summer to me. I love root beer but I don’t drink it often because of the added calories. Last week at the lake I enjoyed several thirst-quenching bottles. For lunch we would hop in the boat and drive across the lake to a little restaurant/shop called Miller’s Landing. I indulged myself with Oreo milkshakes, chicken strips, French fries and root beer; not all at once of course.
So these Root beer cupcakes are perfectly reminiscent of the lake. This is a chocolate based cupcake loaded with root beer flavor and topped with a fluffy whipped vanilla frosting. I have kind of been into the fluffy whipped frostings lately. The root beer flavor comes from a liquid called root beer concentrate. I searched high and low for it but ended up finding it at Walmart! These cupcakes are really easy to make and are sure to be a crowd pleaser!Print
- Rootbeer Cupcakes
- Makes 24 cupcakes
- 1 box Chocolate cake mix
- 3 Large eggs
- 1/4 C Water
- 1/2 C Milk
- 1/2 C Vegetable oil
- 1/2 C Sour cream
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 3 tsp Root beer concentrate
- Preheat Oven to 350° F.
- Combine cake mix with all ingredients. Beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners and fill each cup 2/3 full of batter.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cupcakes are done.
- Allow cupcakes to cool for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool them completely.
- 1 lb Unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 C Powdered sugar
- 3 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 C Heavy whipping cream
- Allow butter to come to room temperature.
- Using the wire whisk attachment on your mixer, whip butter for several minutes until light and fluffy. You may have to stop the mixer every so often and scrape the butter off the attachment. Butter should turn light in color.
- Slowly add powered sugar one cup at a time. After the first two cups have been added, pour in half of the heavy whipping cream. Add the remaining powdered sugar and continue to whip on medium speed.
- Add remaining heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract. Increase speed to medium high and beat for another 3-5 minutes until frosting is light and fluffy.
There is something about vacation that makes you feel less guilty about Oreo shakes, chicken strips and root beers. I wish vacations lasted for longer!
Speaking of cupcakes… enjoy some of these other cupcakes…