This homemade Funfetti Poke Cake is a moist vanilla cake loaded with sprinkles. It has a vanilla pudding filling and it’s topped with a cake batter whipped cream.
For the cake:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup light sour cream (optional)
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk (or milk)
- ½ cup sprinkles
For the filling:
- 1 package (3.4oz) instant vanilla pudding
- 1 ¾ cup milk
For the topping:
- 1 ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup yellow cake mix (dry)
- 2 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- Add half the flour followed by the baking powder and salt, and beat on low speed while pouring in half of the milk and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate.
- Finally add the remaining flour, mixing on low speed while pouring in the remaining milk and beating until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed. Stir in the sprinkles.
- Pour the batter in a 9-inch by 13-inch pan and bake at 350°F for 28-32 minutes, keeping a careful eye on the baking during the last few minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Test the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, you cake is done. Cool for 30 minutes.
- While the cake is still warm, take the end of a wooden spoon or another round object and poke holes all over the top of your cake. Cool completely.
- For the filling: In a small mixing bowl, combine the vanilla pudding and the milk and whisk until the pudding mix is dissolved. Before the pudding sets (do not refrigerate), pour it over top of the cake, and spread with a spatula to fill in all the holes.
- For the topping: Prepare the whipped cream. Place the mixing bowl in the freeze for 10 minutes to chill. Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream starts to thicken. Slowly add the vanilla cake mix and continue beating on high speed until stiff peaks form. Stir in sprinkles.
- Spread whipped cream over top of the cake and refrigerate until ready to server.
- The batter will be quite thin. It’s important that you stir the batter after mixing, to ensure everything on the bottom of the bowl is well mixed.
- This cake will not produce a very high rise but that’s okay!
- I used an aluminum pan. Baking times will vary by pan type and true internal oven temperatures.