- For the cake:
- 1 box Spice cake mix
- 1 pkg Instant pumpkin spice pudding (3.4 0z)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Pumpkin pie spice
- 3 Large eggs
- 1/2 C Oil
- 3/4 C Milk
- 1/2 C Low-fat sour cream
- For the Frosting:
- 1 C (2 sticks) Unsalted butter- softened
- 1 pk (8oz) Cream Cheese- softened
- 3 tbsp Caramel sauce
- 4–5 C Powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp Heavy whipping cream
- Toffee bits for topping (optional)
- Caramel for drizzling (optional)
- For the Cupcake: Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a cupcake pan with liners.
- Prepare the cupcake batter first. Mix all dry ingredients in your mixing bowl and mix slightly to combine.Add eggs, oil, milk and sour cream. Beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Fill lined cupcake pan 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350° F for 12-16 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cupcakes are done. Allow to cool completely.
- For the Frosting: Allow the butter and cream cheese to come to room temperature so they are soft but not melted.
- Beat the butter and cream cheese in mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Add the caramel sauce and mix until combined.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time while continuing to beat on medium speed. Frosting will become slightly thick. (I used 5 cups of powdered sugar for an extra thick frosting).
- Add heavy whipping cream last and increase mixer speed to high to whip frosting until smooth and creamy.
- Frost cupcakes after completely cool. Top frosted cupcakes with toffee bits and caramel.It’s best to keep cupcakes refrigerated in an airtight container after frosted.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour – see notes section.
I always refrigerate my cream cheese frosting before actually frosting my cupcakes. This allows the frosting to get more stiff, which helps with piping the frosting, but also allows the frosting to hold its shape longer.