Welcome to #cookieweek day two! Cookie week is hosted by Susan of The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen and Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic . They have joined together this week with 23 of their blog friends to present to you a week of cookie treats! We have every type of cookie you can think of listed this week, including something for our furry friends! Now is the time to bookmark these recipes for the upcoming holidays and cookie swaps or simply visit our Pinterest board! Make sure you visit Monday’s post to enter the giveaway from our sponsors: KitchenAid, King Arthur Flour, OXO, Silpat and Zulka Pure Cane Sugar.
Day one of cookie week, I shared with you Dark Chocolate Andes Mini Cookie Cups and I told you about my undying love for mint chocolate. Day two of cookie week, I am keeping with my chocolate theme with these Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Cookies. This cookie, oh my gosh, this one is the perfect sweet and salty combination. The cookie is made with a Caramel Hot Chocolate mix from my friends at Ghirardelli. It’s one of their new hot chocolate mixes that I told you about last week. Then, I drizzled melted caramel over the top and sprinkled it with a little bit of sea salt.
This cookie kind of reminds me of a brownie cookie because it’s firm on the outside and soft and airy on the inside like a brownie. Oh, and it’s also stuffed with chocolate chips, which are totally optional, but why wouldn’t you want even more chocolate. There are a couple of things about this cookie you should know. For the caramel, I used the Kraft caramel cubes and melted them in the microwave. Caramel is extremely hot, so make sure you exercise caution! I lined my cookie sheets with my Silpat, but if you don’t have a Siplat, you can use parchment or wax paper, which will help with the clean up!
I used a fork to drizzle the caramel over the cookies. The caramel sets somewhat quickly, so you have to work double time and sprinkle the sea salt on almost immediately after you drizzle the caramel. Don’t worry though, you can drizzle a couple cookies and then go back and sprinkle the sea salt. Then, you will want to let the caramel cool completely so you don’t burn your mouth! Lastly, the caramel, although firm on the outside, stays soft in the middle and is a little sticky. So it’s best not to layer these too high and make sure to separate the layers with wax paper. These are best stored inside of a container instead of a bag.
- 1/2 C Unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 C + 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 C Ghirardelli Chocolate Caramel Hot Chocolate mix
- 1 Large egg
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 C All-purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 C Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips
For the topping:
- 10 Caramels
- Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Allow butter to come to room temperature. Beat on medium speed for a couple minutes until soft.
- Combine butter with sugar and hot chocolate mix and beat on medium speed until well creamed together.
- Add egg and vanilla. Mix into butter and sugar until egg is well beaten.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add into batter and beat on medium low speed until well combined, dough will start to form. Add chocolate chips and mix to incorporate.
- Spoon out two tablespoons of dough, and roll in your hands to flatten slightly and place onto a cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden brown. Allow to cool for several minute before transferring to a wire rack.
- Once cookies are cooled, unwrap caramels and microwave for 30 seconds until melted. Stir well and drizzle caramel on top of cookies, sprinkle with sea salt.
The caramel is sticky, so it is best to not layer these cookies on top of one another. If you do layer them, put a piece of was paper or parchment paper between the layers.
See what my friends are making!
Coconut Macaroons by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
Ginger Crinkle Cookies by Love and Confections
Loaded Oatmeal Coconut Cookies by The Cooking Actress
Peppermint Cream Cheese Thumbprints by Jen’s Favorite Cookies
Stuffed Chocolate Chip Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel Cookies by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Sugar Cookie Bars with Vanilla Bean Buttercream by i heart eating
Toffee Almond Snowball Cookies by Cupcakes & Kale Chips