A Samoa inspired cookie dough bar with a layer of Oreo cookies crumb, coconut and caramel, cookie dough and chocolate ganache.
- 3 C Shredded Coconut
- 1 1/2 C Oreo Cookie Crumbs
- 5 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 11 oz Kraft caramels
- 2 tbsp Milk
For the Cookie Dough
- 1 C Unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1 C Granulated sugar
- 3/4 C Light brown sugar
- 2 1/4 C All-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 1 tbsp Pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 C Mini chocolate chips
For the ganache
- 11 oz Dark chocolate chips
- 6 tbsp Heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spread shredded coconut on a cookie sheet lined with a baking mat or parchment paper.
- Bake coconut until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. You may want to turn the coconut halfway through cooking to prevent one side from burning. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Remove filling from Oreos, about 20 pc. Use a food processor to grind up cookies into a fine crumb.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl and pour melted butter over Oreo crumbs. Stir to combine butter into crumbs.
- Line a 9×9” pan with parchment paper or tin foil, ensuring the liner comes over the sides of the dish. Press Oreo crumbs into the baking sheet.
- In a medium sauce pan, unwrap caramels and combine caramels with milk. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally until fully melted. Caution, caramel is HOT.
- Add 2 cups of toasted coconut to the melted caramel and stir until fully combined. Pour caramel mixture over Oreo crumbs and pat down with a spatula.
For the cookie dough
- Allow butter to come to room temperature.
- Combine butter and both sugars in a medium-sized bowl. Mix with a handheld mixer until smooth. All chunks of sugar and butter should be broken up.
- Add flour and salt. Mix just until combined. Mixture will be crumbly.
- Add vanilla extract and milk. Mix until dough is soft. Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Press dough over caramels.
For the ganache
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate chips with heavy cream. Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Remove bowl from microwave (careful, it’s hot!). Whisk together until chocolate starts to melt.
- Pour melted chocolate over top of cookie dough.
- Top with remaining 1 cup of shredded coconut.
If you are serving the same day, there is no need to refrigerate. Otherwise I would suggest to refrigerate overnight. You will want to remove from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving. Caramel will get firm and needs to come back to room temperature to cut through.