These chocolate cheesecake cupcakes are easy to make with a cream cheese layer baked right in. Topped with a fresh strawberry buttercream.
- 1 Box Chocolate cake mix plus ingredients listed on the box
- 1 Package cream cheese (8 oz– softened)
- 1 Large egg
- 1/3 C Sugar
- 6 oz Chocolate chips
For the frosting
- 1 lb (4 sticks) Unsalted butter at room temperature
- 5 large eggs whites
- 1 C plus 2 tbsp Granulated sugar
- 3/4 C Strawberry Puree
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- Mix cake mix with required ingredients listed on the back of the box. Fill your lined cupcake pan 2/3 full.
- Mix together softened cream cheese, sugar and egg and beat until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips.
- To add the cream cheese mixture to the cupcakes, use a spoon to drop into each liner. The original recipe calls for 1 tsp of the cream cheese mix, but we did about 2 tsp per cupcake and it worked out great. Liners will be very full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Use a toothpick to check the doneness of your cupcake. Insert the toothpick and if it comes out clean, your cupcakes are done. Allow cupcakes to cool for a couple minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
For the frosting
- Puree strawberries using a food processor. Set aside.
- Temper egg whites and sugar in a heat-proof bowl over a pot of simmering water on medium heat. You need just enough water to cover the bottom of the pot, about 1 inch. Heat the egg whites and sugar to 150°F, ensure the sugar as dissolved. Make sure to stir constantly to avoid cooking the egg whites.
- Using a wire whisk on your stand mixer, beat on medium-high for 8-10 minutes until the egg whites form soft peaks
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add butter 1 tbsp at a time, ensuring each addition is well mixed.
- After all the butter has been added, change to paddle attachment and continue beating on medium to allow all the air bubbles to escape. In about 3-5 minutes until the frosting is smooth.
- Add pureed strawberries and mix until combined, careful not to over mix.
- Serve the same day or you can refrigerate in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. If refrigerated, you will need to bring it to room temperature (about 4 hours) and remix using the paddle attachment for about 5 minutes.