This sweet potato ice cream is flavored with bourbon, maple syrup and a little bit of browned butter.
- 1 Extra large sweet potato
- 2 tbsp Brown butter
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 C Heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 Brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Bourbon
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- Pre-freeze ice cream maker according to manufactures instructions.
- Bake or boil the sweet potato until completely soft. If baking, I suggest to bake in a 425°F oven for 45-60 minutes. If boiling, remove the skin. Spoon out 1 ¼ C of the sweet potato filling and set aside.
- In a small pan, melt butter over medium heat until it starts to turn light brown. Add mashed sweet potato, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir until combined. Refrigerate sweet potato mixer until completely cold.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine 2 cups of heavy cream, brown sugar, maple syrup, bourbon and cinnamon. Stir until mixture is boiling for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1 cup of heavy whipping cream.
- Refrigerate until mixture is completely cold. If mixture gets slightly firm, it may be reheated until liquid forms again. Return to the freezer to cool rapidly.
- Start your ice cream maker before adding the liquid. Pour liquid in slowly and churn on low for 10 minutes until custard starts to form. Increase speed and churn for another 5 minutes. Pour the smashed sweet potatoes into the ice cream.
- Once mixture has reached custard form, stop the mixer and spoon into freezer safe container or serve immediately. Freeze for 1-4 hours.
The prep time and total time includes both the pre-freezing of your ice cream maker. I suggest to make the sweet potato mix and the ice cream batter the night before, when you are pre-freezing your ice cream maker. Sweet potato can be baked or boiled as long as it is soft and free of any skin.