I guess you could say I am on a bit of an eggnog kick! Ever since I picked up my first carton of the season, my refrigerator has not been empty. Monday, I shared Eggnog Cream Pie Parfaits. This is what started my eggnog dessert obsession.
It continues today with this Ultimate Eggnog Poke Cake. Get this, it starts with an eggnog spice cake, then it’s soaked in eggnog and filled with eggnog pudding. It’s all topped off with a fresh whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
At first, I was just going to stop after I soaked the cake in eggnog. But then I was too in love with the eggnog pudding that I made for my cream pie, so I added that too. It was slightly genius.
I have made quite a few poke cakes, each one different and equally as awesome. There are numerous ways that you can make them work. Some use sweetened condensed milk, some use pudding, you can also use caramel or hot fudge. These cakes are usually topped with Cool Whip. I choose to use fresh whipped cream whenever possible, I prefer it to the taste of Cool Whip. But as always, you can use Cool Whip too.
I have spiked this poke cake with some rum, because you all know that I enjoy a little spiked dessert every once in a while. However, you do have the option to omit the rum if you want a virgin poke cake! Wherever this recipe calls for rum, simply substitute it with more eggnog. This is the Ultimate Eggnog Poke Cake after all!
If you are looking for a quick go-to holiday cake, this one should be in your back pocket!
Keep up with all the happenings. Subscribe at the end of this post!
Follow Beyond Frosting:Print
It starts with an eggnog spice cake, then it’s soaked in eggnog and filled with eggnog pudding. It’s all topped off with a fresh whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
- 1 pk Vanilla cake mix
- 2 Large eggs
- ½ C Vegetable oil
- ½ C Rum
- ½ C Eggnog
For the topping
- 2 cups Eggnog
- 1 pk Vanilla pudding (3.4 oz)
- 1 ¾ C Eggnog
- ¼ C Rum
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 3/4 cups Heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Combine vanilla cake mix with: eggs, vegetable oil, rum and eggnog. Beat until well mixed. Bake at 350° F in a 9×13” pan for 20-25 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, you cake is done. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- While the cake is still warm, take the end of a wooden spoon or another round object and poke holes all over the top of your cake. Pour 2 C of eggnog over the cake and allow it to soak in the cake for about 15 minutes.
- Prepare the pudding topping. Combine vanilla pudding, eggnog and rum, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix until pudding is dissolved. Do not allow pudding the get firm. Pour wet pudding over top of the cake and then put it in the refrigerator. Pudding will soak into cake and get firm while refrigerating. Allow 15-30 minutes.
- Top cake with Cool Whip or fresh whipped cream. Put bowl and whisk in the freezer for 15 minutes until completely cold. Whip heavy cream on medium high speed for several minutes until bubbly.
- Add powdered sugar and beat on medium high until stiff peaks form. Top cake with whipped cream and keep refrigerated.
In order to make this a “virgin” poke cake, wherever this recipe calls for rum, simply substitute it with more eggnog.
Recipes from my friends you might like:
Eggnog Cookies from Life Love and Sugar
Eggnog Cheesecake from Wine and Glue
Eggnog Brulee Cheesecake Bars from The Domestic Rebel
Other recipe you might like from Beyond Frosting