- 1½ C (3 sticks) Unsalted butter, cold.
- 5 C Powdered sugar
- 2½ tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Heavy whipping cream
- Cut butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until butter look light in color.
- Add 2 C powdered sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated into butter.
- Add 2 tsp vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Add additional 2 C powdered sugar and beat on low speed until sugar is incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 3 minutes.
- Add last 1 C powdered sugar along with 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream and ½ tsp vanilla extract . Beat on low until ingredients start to mix together. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 3-5 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting
To flavor this recipe with peppermint extract, start with 1/2 teaspoon and add 1/4 tsp at a time until you are happy with the flavor. This frosting can be kept at room temperature if serving within 24 hours and it’s not too hot. It can be made ahead of time and kept refrigerated for two days. Frosting must come back to room temperature before piping.