These donuts are smothered in a fresh strawberry glaze and then covered with chocolate ganache.
- 3 C All-purpose flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- 2 ¼ tsp Active Dry Yeast (or Instant Yeast)
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 C Milk
- 2 tbsp Unsalted butter, melted
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil for frying
- For the glaze
- ½ C Strawberries, pureed
- 2–3 C Powdered sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2–4 tsp Milk or heavy cream
- For the ganache
- 8 oz Chocolate chips
- 3–4 tbsp Heavy cream
- In a large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients: flour, salt, nutmeg and yeast.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg and combine with milk, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Slowly stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and turn dry ingredients over with a wooden spoon, or your hands until a wet dough forms. Allow dough to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Knead dough for 6-8 minutes either by hand or with a stand mixer until a soft dough forms. Knead on a lightly floured surface. You should be able to poke the dough and it springs back up.
- Place dough in a buttered bowl and flip it to coat both sides. Cover with a towel and allow dough to rise in a warm location for 1 ½ for 2 hours until the dough doubles in size.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll dough out to 1/4” thick and cut with a round cookie or donut cutter.
- Place on a nonstick or parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap. Place on counter and allow to rise for another hour until they double in size. *Do not place back in a warm oven*
- Heat oil to 345°F- 365°F. Place dough into oil and fry on each side for about 30 seconds until lightly golden brown. Use a pair of metal tongs to remove donuts from oil and gently tap off excess oil. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare the glaze, wash and dry strawberries. Puree until smooth.
- Combine strawberries with powdered sugar, start with 2 cups and add additional powdered sugar until desired thickness. Add vanilla extract and milk to fit your taste buds.
- Dip donuts 2-3 times in the glaze. Flip over and allow the glaze to set for about 30 minutes. Cover with chocolate ganache.
- For the ganache, combine 8 oz chocolate chips with 3 tbsp heavy cream in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave on high for 30-60 seconds. Stir until chocolate is smooth. Add additional heavy cream to thin out ganache if needed. Drizzle over donuts.
Recipe for Yeast-Raised Glazed Doughnuts from the King Arthur Flour Bakers Companion cookbook.