This Malted Chocolate Mousse Tart is everything you want in a chocolate dessert. It is the most light and airy mousse atop a chocolate cookie crust.
For the crust
- 1 pkg Oreos (14.3oz)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Unsalted butter
For the filling
- 1 pkg Cream cheese, 8oz (cold)
- 2 oz Chocolate chips (milk or dark)
- 1 tbsp Unsalted butter
- ½ cup Chocolate malt powder
- ½ cup Granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 C Powdered sugar
- 2–4 oz Chocolate bar, chopped
- In a food processor, grind up Oreos into a fine crumb.
- In a small bowl, melt the butter in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds. Pour the melted butter over the graham crackers and stir until the crumbs are well coated
- Pour the Oreo crumbs in the tart pan and use a spatula to press into the pan. Refrigerate crust until filling is ready.
- Remove cream cheese from refrigerator and beat on medium speed for two minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a small, microwave-safe dish, combine the chocolate chips and 1 tablespoons of butter. Melt for 30-60 seconds and stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour the melted chocolate over cream cheese and mix to combine.
- Next, add the malt powder and the granulated sugar to the cream cheese mix, beat on medium speed until well incorporated.
- Add 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping and beat on high speed for 2 minutes to incorporated additional air into the mousse.
- Prepare the whipped cream. Place a metal mixing bowl in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream thickens. Slowly add the powdered sugar and continue beating on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Take 1 cup of of the prepared whipped cream and fold into the chocolate mousse until well combined. Then pour the filling into the prepared tart shell. Pipe the remaining whipped cream boarders using a large open star tip. Refrigerate until the mousse sets, 2-4 hours.
- Use a sharp knife and chop chocolate bar into slivers and garnish the tart with the chopped chocolate.
“Cook Time” is resting time for the tart to set in the refrigerator.
If you are using a 9-inch round pan, reduce the crust to 2 cups of Oreo cookie crumbs and 6 tablespoons of butter.