These Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes are a mouthwatering treat. It is a vanilla cupcake with a brown sugar streusel mixed in. They are topped with brown sugar, cinnamon frosting.
- 1 box White cake mix
- 1 box Vanilla pudding (3.4oz)
- 4 Large egg whites
- 1 C Buttermilk
- 1/3 C Vegetable oil
- ½ C Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the streusel:
- 1 C Light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 4 tbsp Unsalted butter
- For the frosting:
- 1 ½ C (3 sticks) Unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp Light brown sugar
- 6 C Powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 2–3 tbsp Heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine vanilla cupcake mix with vanilla pudding. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each egg is added to ensure it is well mixed.
- Add buttermilk, oil, sour cream and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until all ingredients are well combined. Use a spatula to scrap down the side of the bowl and turn the batter over from the bottom.
- Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- For the streusel: Combine all dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a separate bowl, melt butter. Pour melted butter over dry ingredients. Use a spoon to blend butter into dry ingredients to create a crumbly mixture.
- Spoon a little bit of batter into the bottom of the cupcake. Pour a teaspoon or two of streusel on top of the batter and swirl with a toothpick. Spoon remaining batter into cupcake liner till it is about 2/3 full. Pour a teaspoon of streusel on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 15-18 minutes until cupcake are done. You do not want to top to turn brown. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cupcakes are done. Allow to cool completely.
- For the frosting: Beat butter in mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy: 2-3 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and mix until combined.
- Slowly add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time while continuing to beat on medium speed. After 3 cups of powdered sugar, the frosting might be very thick and crumbly. Add 1 tablespoons of heavy cream and the vanilla extract and beat into the frosting before adding additional powdered sugar.
- Continue to add the remaining powdered sugar and the cinnamon and mix into frosting. Alternate in the heavy cream as needed.
- Increase the mixer speed to high to whip frosting until smooth and creamy. Frost cooled cupcakes.
Please note buttermilk can be substituted with regular milk.