This festive Peppermint Hot Chocolate Poke Cake is everything you need for your holiday dessert. A peppermint red velvet cake soaked in a white chocolate pudding and topped with hot chocolate whipped cream!
- For the cake
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- Ingredients on the box: eggs, oil, water
- ½ teaspoons peppermint extract (optional)
- For the filling:
- 1 box Hersey’s white chocolate (or vanilla) instant pudding mix (3.4 oz)
- 1¾ C Milk
- 1/8 – ¼ teaspoons peppermint extract
- For the whipped cream:
- 1 1/2 C Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 C Hot chocolate mix (about 6 sleeves of instant hot chocolate)
- Additional hot fudge sauce for drizzling
- Andes Peppermint Crunch for garnish
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare the cake according to the instructions on the box, combining the cake mix with eggs, vegetable oil, water and peppermint extract. Beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Bake the cake in 9×13” for 18-22 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- While the cake is still warm, take the end of a wooden spoon or another round object and poke holes all over the top of your cake.
- For the filling: When the cake has cooled, prepare the pudding layer by mixing a package of instant white chocolate pudding with 1 ¾ cups of cold milk and add the peppermint extract to taste (1/8 tsp to ¼ tsp). Before the pudding sets, pour it over the top of the cake and put the cake in the fridge to let the pudding set, about 15 minutes.
- For the whipped cream: Put the bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to get them really cold (this step is optional, but a common practice I use.).
- In the cold mixing bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Add the hot chocolate mix and increase the speed to medium high. Beat until stiff peak form.
- Spread whipped cream over the top of cake. You can top you cake with a chocolate drizzle and some crushed Andres Peppermint Crunch. This cake must stay refrigerated.