These Chocolate Cherry Cream Pie Cupcakes are a chocolate cupcake filled with cherry pie filling, a cheesecake mousse and they’re topped with chocolate whipped cream.
- For the cupcakes:
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can (21 oz) Lucky Leaf Cherry Pie Filling
- For the filling:
- 1 package instant cheesecake pudding (3.4 oz)
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- For the topping:
- 2 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup + 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a cupcake pan with 24 cupcake liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine cake mix, cocoa powder, water, vegetable oil and eggs. Beat on medium–high speed until all ingredients are well blended.
- Add the can of Lucky Leaf Cherry Pie Filling and continue mixing until the ingredients are well incorporated. Use a spatula to mix the batter from the bottom of the bowl to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Divide the batter evenly, filling each liner about ⅔ full and bake at 350°F for 15 to 18 minutes until the cupcakes are set.
- Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- For the filling: In a medium-sized bowl, combine the pudding mix and the milk and whisk just until the pudding mix starts to dissolve. Refrigerate until the pudding is completely firm.
- Prepare the whipped cream. Put the bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to get them really cold (this step is optional, but a common practice I suggest). Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and beat until soft peaks form.
- Add the powdered sugar and increase speed to medium high. Beat until stiff peak form.
- Remove pudding from refrigerator (after it has set) and gently fold in whipped cream until it’s well combined. Place the filling in a Ziploc bag. Set in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use.
- To assemble the cupcakes, remove the middle of the cupcake using a spoon, knife or cupcake corer.
- Cut off the tip of the Ziploc bag and fill the center with the cheesecake mousse filling.
- For the topping: To make the chocolate whipped cream, prepare your mixing bowl as directed above by placing in the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and beat until soft peaks form.
- Turn the mixer off and first add the cocoa powder, then slowly mix into the whipped cream.
- Then add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, slowly and increase the mixing speed to high and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Use a large piping bag fitted with an open star tip and pipe the whipped cream on the cupcakes and serve. These cupcakes must be refrigerated.