Triple Funfetti Cream Pie Cupcakes are the best funfetii cupcakes you’ll ever eat. It starts with a vanilla funfetti cupcakes, then it’s filled with an easy vanilla mousse. Finally it’s topped with a batch of cake batter whipped cream.
- For the cupcake:
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
- For the filling:
- 1 package (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2–3 tablespoons vanilla cake mix
- For the frosting:
- 1 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup vanilla cake mix
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkles for garnish
- For the cupcake: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a cupcake pan with 16 cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients: cake mix, pudding mix, buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla extract and sour cream. Beat on medium speed until all of the ingredients are well combined. Stir in the sprinkles.
- Divide the batter evenly, filling each liner about ⅔ full and bake at 350°F for 15 to 18 minutes until the cupcakes are set.
- Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- For the filling: In a medium-sized bowl, combine the pudding mix and the milk and whisk just until the pudding mix starts to dissolve. Refrigerate until the pudding is completely firm.
- Prepare the whipped cream. Put the bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to get them really cold (this step is optional, but a common practice I suggest). Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and beat until soft peaks form.
- Add the vanilla cake mix and increase speed to medium high. Beat until stiff peak form.
- Remove the pudding from refrigerator (after it has set) and gently fold in whipped cream until it’s well combined. Place the filling in a Ziploc bag. Set in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use.
- To assemble the cupcakes, remove the middle of the cupcake using a spoon, knife or cupcake corer.
- Cut off the tip of the Ziploc bag and fill the center with the cheesecake mousse filling.
- For the topping: To make the whipped cream, prepare your mixing bowl as directed above by placing in the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and beat until soft peaks form.
- Then slowly add the powdered sugar, vanilla cake mix and vanilla extract and increase the mixing speed to high and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Use a large piping bag fitted with an open star tip and pipe the whipped cream on the cupcakes and garnish with sprinkles right before serving. These cupcakes must be refrigerated.