These Toffee Caramel Cupcakes with Bourbon Caramel Buttercream are homemade caramel based cupcakes with toffee pieces and it’s covered with a Bourbon Caramel frosting.
For the cupcake:
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons caramel extract (or vanilla)
- ½ cup salted caramel sauce
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup toffee pieces
For the frosting:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons salted caramel sauce
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- pinch of salt (optional)
- toffee pieces for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a cupcake pan with liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine both sugars, vegetable oil, eggs and caramel extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Next mix in the salted caramel and beat until well combined.
- Add the flour followed by the baking powder and salt, and beat on low speed while pouring in the milk and mix just until the flour is incorporated. Then add the toffee pieces and mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Use a large cookie scoop to divide the batter evenly between the cupcakes liners, filling about 2/3 full. You may need to stir the cupcake batter occasionally, especially as you reach the bottom of the bowl.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 to 18 minutes until the cupcakes are set. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake, if the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- For the frosting: Cut the butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 3-4 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat the butter until it looks lighter in color.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar mixing on low speed until it’s incorporated into the butter. The frosting will start to thicken. Add 1 tablespoon of heavy whipping cream and continue beating until it’s thoroughly combined.
- Next add the remaining 1 ½ cup of powdered sugar along with 1 tablespoon of bourbon and 1 tablespoon of heavy whipping cream. Beat on medium speed until the frosting is smooth.
- Finally add 2 tablespoons of caramel and a pinch of salt. Beat the frosting at a high speed for 2 minutes to whip some additional air into the frosting. Pipe onto the cool cupcakes using a large open star tip. Top with additional caramel sauce and toffee pieces. Store in an airtight container.