These tex-mex inspired Spicy Cheddar Chorizo Cornbread Muffins are stuffed full of chorizo, red peppers, jalapeños and cheddar cheese.
- 1 lb ground chorizo
- 1 package of Krusteaz Honey Cornbread Muffin Mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 medium jalapeños (optional) – one diced, one sliced
- ¼ red bell pepper, diced (optional)
- Cook ground chorizo in a skillet over medium-high heat until browned. Allow to cool and drain excess grease.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease muffin pan bottom and sides
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine mix, milk, oil and egg. Stir until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Add cooked chorizo, shredded cheese, one diced jalapeno, and bell pepper to the batter. Stir until well combined.
- Scoop batter into each muffin cup, about ¾ full. Top with a piece of sliced jalapeño.
- Bake 18-20 minutes. Use a toothpick to check the center of the muffin.
- Serve warm and store extras in the refrigerator in an airtight container
Be sure to cool the chorizo before adding it to you cornbread muffin mix, this way it won’t melt all the cheese. Also be sure to drain off the excess grease.