Fun and Festive Football-themed Sugar Cookie Cups for your next football party. This is a quick and easy game day dessert. This sugar cookie cup is filled with a green colored vanilla buttercream and topped with a football made with almonds and candy melts. Your super bowl party needs this dessert.
For the cookie:
- 1 package Krusteaz Butter Vanilla Sugar Cookie Mix
- ½ cup butter, softened but not melted
- 1 large egg
For the frosting:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- Green food color gels
For the decorations:
- ¼ cup candy melts
- 16–18 whole almonds
- For the cookies: Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a mini muffin sheet with cooking spray. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine cookie mix, butter and egg and beat until well mixed.
- Scoop 2 Tablespoons of cookie dough into each mini muffin cavity.
- Bake 12-14 minutes until the cookie dough is lightly golden brown. Allow the cookie cups to cool for 15-20 minutes. While the cookies are still warm, use the back of a measuring spoon to press into the center of each cookie to make a cup shape.
- Remove cookie cups gently and allow to cool completely.
- For the frosting: Cut the butter into 1 tablespoon-sized pieces and whip in a standing mixer 5-7 minutes, until the butter looks light in color. Add powdered sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated, then add heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract. Decrease speed to medium-high and beat for 3-5 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting. It should be light and airy.
- Add 2-3 drops of green food coloring into the frosting and stir until well combined.
- Use a piping bag fitted with a tip 233, pipe the grass into each cookie cup.
- For the decorations: Microwave candy melts in 20 second increments until they start to melt, stirring each time. Stir until completely smooth.
- In a piping bag fitted with a size 1 piping tip, pipe a thin line on the almonds to imitate a football. Allow the candy melt line to harden.Change the piping tip to a size 3 to pipe the goal posts onto a piece of parchment paper. Allow the chocolate goal posts to harden and place them onto the cookie cups. Store in an airtight container.