This Cream Cheese Frosting recipe is quick and easy and it’s the perfect cupcake frosting because it holds its shape nicely for piping. You need to try this, it’s the BEST Cream Cheese Frosting! This cream cheese frosting recipe can be made for either 12 or 24 cupcakes, or a 2 layer cake.
For 24 cupcakes or a 2 layer cake
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold
- 16 ounces cream cheese, cold
- 6–7 cups powdered confectionary sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream (optional)
For 12 cupcakes
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cold
- 3 ½ cups powdered confectionary sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream (optional)
- Cut the butter into 1-inch blocks. Beat the butter for 1-2 minutes until it is slightly softened.
- Then add the cream cheese and cream together for 2-3 minutes until they are fluffy and free of lumps, scape down the bowl occasionally.
- Slowly add confectionary sugar and vanilla extract and beat until desired consistency is reached. I like to whip mine with the paddle attachment on my stand mixer on medium-high speed for at least 2 minutes to ensure my frosting is airy.
- If you find the frosting is too sweet, add 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream and beat until well combined.
- Add an additional 1/2 C confectionary sugar for a stiffer consistency, if desired.
- You can refrigerate the frosting in an airtight container for several days. Allow the frosting to come to room temperature before using.
- The flavor of the frosting can be changed with almond extract, lemon zest (or juice) or orange zest.
- If you find the frosting is too thin, refrigerate for 30-60 minutes before using.