This mouthwatering, super moist chocolate cake, is a homemade chocolate cake topped with a silky chocolate cream cheese frosting. The chocolate cake just melts in your mouth, it’s a light and fluffy cake that stays moist for days.
For the cake:
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar (285g)
- ½ cup vegetable oil (118 ml)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (15 ml)
- ½ cup light sour cream (118 ml)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (280g)
- ½ cup cocoa powder (55 g)
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder (5g) (optional)
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder (9 g)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (2 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 g)
- 1 ¼ cup coffee (355 ml)
For the frosting:
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 4 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk or heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color.
- Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Then add half the dry ingredients followed by half of the coffee and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate.
- Finally add the remaining dry ingredients, mixing on low speed while pouring in the remaining coffee and beating until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Pour the batter into a 9×13-inch pan and bake at 350°F for 26-28 minutes. Test the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, you cake is done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- For the frosting: Cut the butter into 1-inch blocks. Beat the butter for 1-2 minutes until it is slightly softened.
- Then add the cream cheese and cream together for 2-3 minutes until they are fluffy and free of lumps, scape down the bowl occasionally.
- Add the cocoa powder and vanilla extract and beat until well combined,
- Next, add the confectionary sugar 2 cups at a time, followed by one tablespoon of heavy whipping cream and beat for 60-90 seconds until completely smooth.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream and beat until desired consistency, at least 2 minutes.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake and then cover with sprinkles. Keep in an airtight container.
- I prefer to use Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder for the cake and regular cocoa powder for the frosting.
- If you don’t have light sour cream, substitute nonfat Greek yogurt. If you don’t have light sour cream, regular will work but you can’t will be denser.
- If you don’t want to use coffee, you can use water.
- This recipe can be made into 24 cupcakes. Baked for 14-16 minutes. The frosting recipe will be to be 1.5times