This Easy Chocolate Poke Cake is a mouthwatering chocolate poke cake from scratch, soaked with chocolate pudding and a homemade whipped cream on top.
For the cake:
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cup coffee
For the filling:
- 1 package chocolate pudding (3.4oz)
- 1 ¾ cup milk
For the topping:
- 1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Hot Fudge Sauce (optional)
- Chocolate Shavings (optional)
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color.
- Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- In a sperate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Then add half the dry ingredients followed by half of the coffee and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate.
- Finally add the remaining dry ingredients, mixing on low speed while pouring in the remaining coffee and beating until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Pour the batter into a 9×13-inch pan and bake at 350°F for 26-28 minutes. Test the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, you cake is done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Take a wooden spoon or another round object and poke holes over the top of the cake.
- For the filling: In a small mixing bowl, combine the instant chocolate pudding with the milk and whisk together until the powdered mix is dissolved.
- Pour the liquid pudding mix over top of the cake, try to fill the holes with the pudding mix.
- Refrigerate the cake until the pudding is firm, about 10 minutes or so.
- Place the mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to chill
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream thickens.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and continue beating on high speed until stiff peaks start to form. Spread the whipped cream over the top of the cake. Keep refrigerated. Serve with hot fudge sauce and chocolate shaving or chocolate sprinkles.