These homemade moist Gingerbread Cupcakes are flavored with ginger, all spice, cloves and a touch of nutmeg. It’s the perfect holiday treat. This Gingerbread Cupcake Recipe is topped with a cinnamon maple whipped cream cheese frosting and garnished with rosemary.
For the cupcake:
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ½ cup milk
For the frosting:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cold
- 3-4 cups powdered confectionary sugar
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon heavy whipping cream or milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugars, vegetable oil, eggs, molasses and vanilla extract and sour cream. Beat on medium speed until the well combined. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all remaining dry ingredients. Then, add half the dry ingredients to the batter followed half the milk and beat until it starts to combine.
- Finally add the remaining dry ingredients, mixing on low speed while pouring in the milk and beating until all of the ingredients are well combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes. Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Cool Completely.
- For the frosting: Cut the butter into 1-inch blocks. Beat the butter for 1-2 minutes until it is slightly softened.
- Then add the cream cheese and cream together for 2-3 minutes until they are fluffy and free of lumps, scape down the bowl occasionally.
- Slowly add the confectionary sugar 2 cups at a time, followed by the heavy cream, maple syrup and vanilla extract and beat until desired consistency is reached.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar desired consistency, at least 2 minutes.
- In a large piping bag fitted with a large open round pipping tip, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- You can substitute the light sour cream with nonfat Greek yogurt