Peppermint Mocha Poke Cake is a moist, coffee infused cake with a peppermint white chocolate pudding and topped with whipped cream.
For the cake:
- 3 heaping tablespoons Dunkin’ Donuts French Vanilla Flavored Coffee (divided)
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 1 package (3.4oz) white chocolate instant pudding
- 1 ¾ cups milk
- 1/8–1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
For the topping:
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Hot fudge sauce for garnish (optional)
- Crushed peppermint candies for garnish (optional)
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare the coffee by combing 2 tablespoons of ground coffee with boiling water and brew in your coffee pot. Measure out 1 ¼ cups of brewed coffee. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs. vanilla extract, sour cream and 1 tablespoon of ground coffee. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add half the dry ingredients and half of the brewed coffee and beat on low speed. Mix just until the flour starts to incorporate.
- Finally add the remaining dry ingredients and the remaining coffee and beat until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Pour the batter into a 9×13-inch pan and bake at 350°F for 26-28 minutes. Test the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Take a wooden spoon or another round object and poke holes over the top of the cake.
- For the filling: In a small mixing bowl, combine the pudding mix with the milk and peppermint extract, whisk together until the powdered mix is dissolved.
- Pour the liquid pudding over top of the cake, try to fill the holes with the pudding mix.
- Refrigerate the cake until the pudding is firm, about 10 minutes or so.
- For the topping: Place the mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to chill.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream thickens.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and continue beating on high speed until stiff peaks start to form. Spread the whipped cream over the top of the cake. Keep refrigerated. Serve with hot fudge sauce and chopped peppermint candies.
- Start with 1/8 teaspoon of peppermint extract and add additional to taste.
- For a quick shortcut, use an already prepared whipped topping instead of homemade whipped cream.