For this buttercream frosting recipe, we are making a traditional American vanilla buttercream frosting. It’s an all butter frosting recipe flavored with vanilla extract.
Frosting for 12 cupcakes
- 3/4 C (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold.
- 2–3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
Frosting for 24 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, cold.
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
Frosting for 3 layer, 8-inch cake
- 2 1/2 cups (5 sticks) unsalted butter, cold
- 8–10 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3–4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Pinch of salt
- Cut butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 3-5 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until the butter looks light in color and has increased in volume.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar at a time and mix on low speed until incorporated into butter then continuing adding additional powdered sugar, alternating with the vanilla extract and heavy cream. After each additional of 2 cups of powdered sugar, beat for about 60 seconds on medium-high or until the powdered sugar is well combined.
- Increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 3-5 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting.