This Yellow Cupcake Recipe from scratch is a better-than-cake-mix yellow cake. It’s a classic birthday cupcake. This recipe can be used to make a yellow cake or yellow cupcakes with a chocolate fudge frosting. This homemade cake recipe uses oil, sour cream and buttermilk to create the perfect moist, spongy, yellow cupcake.
For the cupcake
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cup buttermilk
For the frosting:
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream (or milk)
- For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, egg yolks and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add half the dry ingredients while pouring in half of the buttermilk and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate.
- Finally add the remaining dry ingredients, mixing on low speed while pouring in the remaining buttermilk and beating until all of the ingredients are well combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes. Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Cool Completely.
- Test the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done. Cool completely.
- For the frosting: In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave at 50% power in 30-second increments, stirring each time until the chocolate is melted. Stir until completely smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Cut the butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until butter look light in color. Next, beat the cocoa powder into the butter until well mixed.
- Alternate adding 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time with the liquid ingredients: vanilla extract & heavy cream. Ensure the powdered sugar is well combined, and whip for 1-2 minutes before adding more powdered sugar.
- Next, pour in the melted chocolate and beat on slow speed until incorporated. Then, increase the speed to medium-high and beat for another 2-3 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting. Use a large piping bag fitted with a large open star tip to frost the cupcakes. Garnish with sprinkles.
- To make homemade buttermilk, which can be substituted if needed
- You can substitute regular milk instead of buttermilk if absolutely necessary
- This is best if served within 2 days of baking. Store in an airtight container
- Greek yogurt can be substituted for sour cream