These Easy Sugar Cookie Bars are soft and chewy and topped with a perfect whipped vanilla frosting. They’re buttery, dense and chewy in the middle.
For the cookie bars:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tarter
For the frosting:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- For the cookies:Preheat oven to 375° F
- Combine butter with sugar and beat on medium speed until well creamed together.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix into the butter and sugar until the eggs are well beaten.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Slowly add it into batter and beat on medium low speed until well combined and dough forms.
- Press the cookie dough into a 9-inch by 13-inch pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 375°F 18-20 minutes. Allow the cookie bars to cool completely.
- For the frosting: Cut butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until butter look light in color.
- Add 2 cups powdered sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated into butter.
- Next Add 2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream and mix to combine.
- Finally add the remaining powdered sugar, heavy cream and vanilla bean paste and whip it on high for at least 2 minutes until it’s light and fluffy.
- Spread over cooled cookie bars, slice and enjoy.