This perfectly moist and fluffy vanilla bundt cake is packed with real vanilla extract. This homemade vanilla bundt cake is an easy to follow recipe with no complicated ingredient. Serve this vanilla cake with fresh fruit and homemade whipped cream.
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 ½ cups (285g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (118 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons (22ml) vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (177 ml) light sour cream
- 2 ½ cups (350 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (7.5 g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) salt
- 1 ¼ cup (296 ml) milk (I use nonfat)
For the berries
- 1 pint blackberries
- 1 pint raspberries
- 8–10 strawberries, sliced
- Juice 1/2 a lemon
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (48g) granulated sugar
For the whipped cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously grease and flour your bundt pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites for approximately 2 minutes until foamy.
- Next add the sugar, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until well incorporated. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add half the dry ingredients and half of the milk and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate.
- Finally add the remaining dry ingredients and milk and beat until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Pour the batter in the prepared bundt pan and bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes, keeping a careful eye on the baking during the last few minutes.
- Test the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack, and after 5 minutes, run a knife around the outside edge of your cake and in the center to release it from the sides of the pan. Turn it out onto a plate or cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.
- To make macerated berries: combine all the berries and toss with the sugar, vanilla and lemon extract. Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes, the longer the better until the berries release their juice. Serve with berries and a traditional whipped cream or prepare the sour cream whipped cream.
- For the whipped cream: First place the metal mixing bowl in the freezer for 5 minutes to chill. Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream starts to thicken. Add the sour cream and vanilla and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- This would also pair very well with Mascarpone whipped cream
- Baking times will vary by oven and type of pan