These Apple Pie Biscuit Shortcakes are made with an easy to create sweet shortcake biscuit topped with mascarpone whipped cream and apple pie filling.
For the biscuits
- 2 C (8oz) King Arthur Flour Unbleached Self-Rising Flour
- 2 tablespoons (7/8 oz) Sugar
- 1 C (8oz) Heavy cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tbsp (1/2 to 1 oz) Milk (optional)
- 1 to 2 tbsp (1.2 to 1 oz) Butter, melted
- Course white sparkling sugar or cinnamon sugar
For the Apple Pie Filling
- 5 Medium apples, sliced
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp Light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
For the Mascarpone Whipped Cream
- 4 oz Mascarpone cheese (or substitute regular cream cheese)
- 1 C Heavy whipping cream
- ¾ C Powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- For the biscuits: Pre-heat oven to 425°F and move a rack to the top third of the oven.
- In a medium-sized bowl, blend together flour and sugar.
- Using a measuring cup, measure out 1 cup of heavy and add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix together to blend the vanilla into the heavy cream.
- Create a well in the center of your flour, filling with heavy cream. Gently start turning the flour over until a dough starts to form. Continuing turning until a ball of dough is formed. If you have a lot of leftover flour in the bottom of the bowl, you can add 1 tablespoons of milk at a time. (Note that I did not need to do this).
- Empty the dough onto a well-floured surface, patting the top with additional flour.
- Fold the dough over several times to blend in additional flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Pat dough into a 7” disc about ½” thick.
- Use a biscuit cutter or small round cookie cutter, about 2 ¼” in width to cut dough into rounds. I reknead the dough and cut a couple additional biscuits.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Melt butter and brush the tops of the biscuits with butter. Sprinkle the top of biscuits with course white sparkling sugar.
- Bake for 12 to 16 minutes until they are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow them to cool for a couple minute before transferring them to a wire rack. These are best served warm.
- For the pie filling: peel and slice apples into small pieces and squeeze a lemon over top and stir to combine.
- Add brown sugar, flour, maple syrup and cinnamon over top of apples. Stir to mix ingredients.
- Heat apples on the stove over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until soft. Stir occasionally. You want the apples to be soft. Set aside and allow to cool, refrigerate if necessary.
- For the whipped cream Beat cream cheese on medium-high speed for 1-2 minutes until cream cheese is smooth and free of lumps. Scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Add 3 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream. Beat into cream cheese until cream cheese resembles a liquid mixture.
- Add remaining heavy whipping cream and beat on medium-high speed. Slowly added remaining powdered sugar and beat until still peaks form.
- To assemble the shortcakes, cut in half and top with a big scoop of whipped cream and apple pie filling.
Biscuit recipe provided by King Arthur Flour
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American