A banana chocolate cupcake filled with am easy chocolate mousse and topped with whipped cream, bananas and Nilla wafers.
- For the cake:
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium bananas, smashed
- For the filling:
- 1 package instant chocolate pudding (3.4 oz)
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- For the topping:
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 2 to 3 medium bananas
- Nilla wafer cookies for garnish
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a cupcake pan with 24 cupcake liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine cake mix, brown sugar, milk, vegetable oil, eggs, sour cream & vanilla extract. Beat on medium–high speed until all ingredients are well blended.
- Add the smashed bananas and continuing mixing until the bananas are well incorporated. Use a spatula to mix the batter from the bottom of the bowl to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Divide the batter evenly, filling each liner about 2/3 full and bake at 350°F for 16 to 18 minutes until the cupcakes are set.
- Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- For the filling: In a medium-sized bowl, combine the chocolate pudding mix and the milk and whisk just until the powder starts to dissolve. Refrigerate until the pudding is completely firm.
- Prepare the whipped cream. Put the bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to get them really cold (this step is optional, but a common practice I use.) Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and beat until soft peaks form.
- Add the powdered sugar and increase speed to medium high. Beat until stiff peak form.
- Remove pudding from refrigerator (after it has set) and gently fold in whipped cream until it’s well combined. Place the filling in a Ziploc bag. Set in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use.
- To assemble the cupcakes, remove the middle of the cupcake using a spoon, knife or cupcake corer.
- Cut off the tip of the Ziploc bag and fill the center with the chocolate mouse filling.
- Take the tops of the cupcake centers and gently press them back into the mousse filling. This step is optional.
- For the topping: Fill a piping bag fitted with a large open star tip. Pipe the Cool Whip on top of the cupcakes.
- Prior to serving, slice the bananas and place on top of the cupcake. Take a few Nilla Wafers and crush them in your hands to sprinkle over the top.
- These cupcakes must be refrigerated.
To make a homemade whipped cream topping, use 1/12 cup heavy whipping cream and about 3/4 cup powdered sugar. Chill the bowl as directed in the “filling” section.