I make tons of chocolate cupcakes from my favorite doctored cake mix recipe, but I have never really tried a yellow or white doctored cake mix. A friend of mine at work got his wisdom teeth taken out, and since he couldn’t eat much of any solid foods, he asked me to make him cupcakes. His request: funfetti. I have never made a homemade funfetti recipe, so I thought it would be the perfect time to try. He wouldn’t be able to taste much anyway, right?
I perused the internet for ideas; I was looking for something somewhat easy. I landed on the Your Cup of Cake blog. She has lots of very intriguing cupcake recipes and lot of doctored cake mix recipes. I decided I would start with a white-based cupcake and add some Christmas colored sprinkles.
Recipe from Your Cup of Cake
Makes 16 cupcakes
1 Box white cake mix
4 Egg whites
1/3 C Oil
3/4 C Buttermilk
3/4 C Sour Cream
1 tbsp Vanilla
1/4 C Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Combine egg whites, oil, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract in a bowl and whisk gently.
- Slowly mix in cake mix until well combined.
- Add sprinkles and gently fold into batter.
- Fill lined cupcakes pan 1/2-2/3 full and bake for 12 minutes, check with a toothpick and bake another 2-3 minutes until tops are golden or until you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Frost with your favorite frosting once cupcakes are completely cooled
I love the way these turned out. They were moist and had a lot of body to them. They were much easier to make than I thought and now I know I can make any custom color funfetti cupcakes!
I would highly recommend making these for a Christmas party!