Mini apple pies topped with a cinnamon roll.
- 1 box Pillsbury Pie Crust (2-9” crusts)
- 1 Can Apple Pie filling (Lucky Leaf or other)
- 2/3 C Walnuts- chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp Caramel or maple syrup (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 pk Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls (8pk regular size)
For the glaze
- 1 1/2 C Powdered Sugar (sifted)
- 2–3 tbsp Milk
- 1/2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- Squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease a muffin pan with Crisco or a light cooking spray (I prefer Crisco).
- Remove pie crust from package and roll out flat. Cut smaller crusts, at least 4-4.5” in diameter. Cut one and fit to the size of your pan to determine what works best with you pan. Once that is determined, cut out 8 mini crusts. You may need to combine and re-roll dough in order to achieve 8 crusts.
- Take mini crust and gently press into the sides of the muffin pan. Allow excess dough to hand over the edge.
- In a separate bowl, combine apple pie filling with walnuts and caramel (both of which are optional) and cinnamon. This just add a little personal touch to the filling. Or you can make your own.
- Fill each pie crust about 2/3 full.
- Remove cinnamon roll from the package. Gently press a roll onto the top of each mini pie. Carefully pinch and fold the edges of the pie crust around the cinnamon roll.
- Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes on a middle rack of the oven. You may need to test the centers of the cinnamon roll to see if it needs additional time, maybe 2-5 minutes depending on your oven.
- Allow mini pies to cool for at least 30 minutes before attempting to remove from the pan.
For the glaze
- Sift powdered sugar in order to achieve a smooth glaze. This step is optional, but I always sift my powdered sugar.
- Combine powdered sugar with milk and vanilla extract. Whisk until desired consistency. For a thinner glaze, add additional milk. For a thicker glaze, add additional powdered sugar.
- In order to cut the sweetness, squeeze it a little hint of lemon juice into the glaze (this step is optional).
- Drizzle glaze over mini pies.
Pie can be heated in the microwave for 60-90 seconds. Watch carefully.