This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details
Day four of #cookieweek is underway! I have to say that I have really enjoyed sharing all these cookies with you. It has been somewhat of a challenge for me to create all of these flavors and also photograph them. I feel like cookies and bars are the hardest thing for me to photograph and make them looking exciting and tasty.
So far I have shared with you Dark Chocolate Andes Cookie Cups, Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Cookies and Maple Snickerdoodle Cookie Cups.
Todays recipe is for Chia Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies. I know this isn’t your average “Christmas Cookie” but I have to tell you these are irresistible.
The recipe was developed by a friend I call “Lem”. Lem made these cookies and brought them snowboarding one weekend a couple of seasons ago. My boyfriend became kind of obsessed and said it was one of his favorite cookies.
Perplexed, and determine to recreate these, I was unsuccessful the first few times. I asked Lem if she could share her recipe and her response was “oh I don’t use measurements, I just eyeball it. A little bit of this and a little bit of that”. Gosh, I hate that! How can you make some amazing cookies without measuring ingredients?!
Well finally Lem wrote the recipe down and shared it with me. With her permission, I am sharing a different version of the Chai Chocolate Chip Cookies.
I changed the recipe slightly to add some vanilla extract and coconut. I also halfed the original recipe. If you were to double this recipe, you would get 3 dozen cookies.
When I made them, I ate several cookies and put them in the freezer so I wouldn’t keep on eating them. That didn’t work for long. I packaged them up and shipped them to a friend in the middle of the United States. He ate them all for lunch, I am pretty sure in one sitting. Hi Gurt! See you soon buddy.Print
Coconut Chai Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 16-18 Cookies
A soft, cakey cookie filled with chewy shredded coconut, rich chocolate chips, and plenty of chai spice.
- 1/2 C Unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 C + 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 C Chai Spice Latte mix
- 1 Large egg
- 1/2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 C All-purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 C Chocolate chips
- 1 C Shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp Granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Allow butter to come to room temperature. Beat on medium speed for a couple minutes until soft.
- Combine butter with sugar and chai mix and beat on medium speed until well creamed together.
- Add egg and vanilla. Mix into butter and sugar until egg is well beaten.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Slowly add into batter and beat on medium low speed until well combined, dough will start to form.
- Add chocolate chips and coconut and mix to incorporate.
- Spoon out two tablespoons of dough, roll in granulated sugar and place onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 350° F for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden brown. Allow to cool for several minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
Double this recipe for 3 dozen cookies. I used sweetened Chai spice latte mix from Trader Joes.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chai cookies
These cookies are really delicious. I do have a question for clarification. The 3 Tbsp of sugar is mentioned twice. Do you put 1/2 C plus 3Tbsp of sugar in the cookies then roll them in 3 more Tbsp? Thank you.
Hi Kay- I am so glad to hear that. I LOVE these cookies, it’s been forever since I made them. What you described is correct. 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp in the dough and about 3 tbsp or so for rolling the dough.