A vanilla cake made with coconut milk loaded with fresh lime and topped with a coconut whipped cream. It’s such a refreshing summer cake!
- For the cake:
- 1 box Vanilla cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- 1 cup coconut milk or coconut cream
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 Large eggs
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- Zest of 2 large limes
- Juice of 1 large lime
- For the topping:
- 1 package instant vanilla or coconut pudding
- 1 ¾ cup milk
- 1 ½ C Heavy whipped cream
- 1 C Powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 C Shredded coconut
- Zest 1 large lime
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the cake mix, coconut milk, oil, eggs and coconut extract. Beat on medium speed until well combined. Zest two limes into the batter and then squeeze the juice out of one of the lime. Continuing mixing until the batter is well mixed. Pour the batter into a 9-inch by 13-inch pan.
- Bake the cake for 20-22 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done. Allow the cake to cool for about 45 minutes.
- For the topping: Once the cake has cooled, then take the handle of a wooden spoon or another round object and poke holes all over the top of your cake.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the instant pudding and milk and whisk until the pudding is dissolved. Pour the liquid pudding over the cake and drip it into the holes in the cake. Refrigerate the cake for at least 15 minutes.
- To prepare the whipped cream, put your mixing bowl and wire whisk in the freezer for 10 minutes to get them very cold. This is optional, but something I usually do, it helps keep the whipped cream cold.
- Beat the heavy whipping cream and beat on medium-high speed. Slowly add the coconut extract and the powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in the shredded coconut until mixed. Do not mix it too aggressively, or the whipped cream will deflate. Spread this over the cooled cake.
- Lastly, zest the lime over top of the whipped cream. This cake must be refrigerated.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: coconut cake