What do you call this? Puppy chow or Muddie buddies? I grew up calling it puppy chow but for lack of confusion; let’s just go with muddy buddies. What I remember from my teenage years is that muddy buddies were THEE sleepover snack. I mean what teenager doesn’t want melted chocolate covered in powdered sugar? What I love about the modern day muddy buddies is all the new variations of it.
Lately I have seen so many creative muddy buddy recipes that I decided I needed to revisit my childhood snack and put a modern day spin on it. So, I took my second favorite sleepover snack, cookie dough, and combined it with Chex mix cereal, melted chocolate, cookie butter and powdered sugar to make Cookie Dough Muddy Buddies. I proceeded to eat half of the bag, by myself and curl up with a chick flick, I wasn’t looking to share.
Cookie Dough Muddy Buddies takes a little preparation, but trust me, it’s so worth it. I used Cookie Butter for my recipe, which can be purchased from Trader Joe’s. If you don’t have access to Cookie Butter, I am sure you can substitute peanut butter and it would be just as good. For the raw cookie dough, I followed a recipe from thecupcakeproject.com
Edible Cookie Dough
1/3 C Butter, softened
½ C Light brown sugar
¼ C Granulated sugar
2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
1 C All-purpose flour
¼ tsp Salt
1/8 C Milk
½ C Mini chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, combined softened butter with light brown sugar and white sugar. Beat on a medium speed for several minutes to make the mixture light and fluffy. The sugar should be dissolved into the butter.
- Next, combine vanilla extract with sugars and butter and mix well. Continue to add flour and salt, beating on medium speed for two minutes, mixture will begin to thicken.
- Last, add milk and mini chocolate chips and beat into the dough until everything is well mixed. Set aside.
6 C Corn or Rice Chex cereal
1 C Milk chocolate chips
½ C Cookie butter
1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
¼ C Butter
1 C Confectionary sugar
- In a microwave proof bowl, combine chocolate chips, cookie butter, vanilla and butter. Melt in the microwave for 30 second increments until the chocolate is melted. Vigorously mix with a spatula until all ingredients are well blended. If you think your mixture is still too thick, add additional melted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- In a large bowl, pour the melted chocolate mixture over the top of the cereal. Use a spatula to gently fold the chocolate into the cereal. Try to coat the cereal as evenly as possible.
- In a large ziplock bag, pour in the powdered sugar and cookie dough. Crumble the cookie dough into the bag.
- Empty the cereal mix into the ziplock bag, seal it and shake the heck out of it. The idea is to coat the cereal mix full of cookie dough and powdered sugar.
- Spread out on a cookie sheet and allow it to cool. You can also refrigerate to help speed up the process.
- Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. It is best enjoyed the same day.
You will notice the I used less powdered sugar on mine, because I didn’t want it to over power the cookie dough. You can add additional powdered sugar as you see fit. I am pretty pumped on my new snack.
Here are some of my favorite Muddy Buddies from other talented bloggers.