This overnight French toast is a combination of dried cranberries and walnuts soaked in an egg wash that is infused with oranges. Once baked, you get crispy on one side and a punch of sweetness on the other.
- 1/2 C Butter, melted
- 1/2 C Granulated sugar
- 1/2 C Walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 C Dried cranberries
- Zest of one large orange
- 9 Slices French bread, 3/4″ thick
- 8 Large eggs
- 1/2 C Heavy cream or milk
- Juice of one large orange
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- Melt butter in a microwave-safe dish and spread evenly over the bottom of a 9″by13″ pan. Add sugar to melted butter and stir.
- Sprinkle cranberries and walnuts over the melted butter. Zest orange over top.
- Slice French bread 3/4″ thick. You will need 9 slices. Lay French bread over top of the cranberries and walnuts.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and milk, juice from one large orange, vanilla extract and nutmeg. Pour over French bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 325°F. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes. Toast will brown slightly on top.
- Allow to set for 5-10 minutes. Cut around slices of bread. Take a sheet pan and place on top of the 9″x13″ pan. Hold the edges of the sheet pan tightly to the baking pan and invert it. Shake gently or tap the bottom of the baking pan to release the French toast.
This recipe needs to be prepared and refrigerated overnight.