This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details
These easy Eggnog Sugar Cookies are soft and chewy cookies flavored with nutmeg and topped with a creamy eggnog buttercream. Perfect for Christmas!
Oh, have you heard that I love eggnog? I posted a could recipes before the end of November because I really just couldn’t wait to share them with you. Be sure to check out my Eggnog Cream Pie Parfaits and my Ultimate Eggnog Poke Cake. Turns out, I am not done with eggnog yet!
These Eggnog Sugar Cookies are down right perfect. The minute you sink your teeth in for the first bite, you won’t be able to stop. Be sure to check out my other recipes from cookie week: Peppermint Cream Pie Cookie Cups, Orange Cranberry Almond Bark, Soft Baked Molassas Cookies with a Brown Butter Glaze, Andes Peppermint Crunch Cookie Dough Truffle Bars.
My boyfriend’s family has this incredible snickerdoodle recipe that is soft and pillowy (it’s a word). It really makes for the perfect cookie. For this cookie, I omitted the cinnamon and sugar, and flavored it with nutmeg for a bit of spice.
Every sugar cookie needs a frosting .This frosting is an eggnog buttercream. Besides the basic butter and powdered sugar, I added more nutmeg and eggnog right into the frosting.
If you are planning to serve these cookies the next day, feel free to leave them out on the counter for awhile. The frosting will get slightly crust on top, allowing you to stack them easier. However, don’t stack too high or you will crush the frosting.
For this recipe, it can make enough cookies to serve a crowd, or it can easily be halved. The original recipe calls for the dough to be refrigerated for an hour, I find that the cookies tend not to spread as much if I refrigerated the dough. However, I am too impatient, so often times, I will let it sit in the fridge for only 30 minutes or so and keep it refrigerated between batches.
Did I mention these cookies were perfect? This Eggnog sugar cookie might just end up replacing your favorite sugar cookie.
Keep up with all the happenings!
Follow Beyond Frosting:Print
These easy eggnog sugar cookies are a soft-based sugar cookie flavored with nutmeg and topped with a creamy eggnog buttercream.
- 1 C (2 sticks) Unsalted butter
- 2 C Sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3 C Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Cream of tarter
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- For the frosting
- 1 C Unsalted butter
- 4 C Powdered sugar
- 3–4 tbsp Eggnog
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- Nutmeg to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine butter with sugar and beat on medium speed until well creamed together.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract. Mix into butter and sugar until eggs are well beaten.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and nutmeg. Slowly add into batter and beat on medium low speed until well combined and dough forms.
- Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Use a two-table spoon cookie scoop and space evenly on a cookie sheet lined with a Silpat or parchment paper. Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes in the middle rack of your oven.
For the Frosting
- Allow butter to come to room temperature. Using a stand mixer, beat the butter for several minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar one cup at a time and slowly increase speed from low to medium. As the frosting becomes thicker, slowly add eggnog and slowly increase speed to medium high; beat for several minutes until light and fluffy.
- Spread over cooled cookie and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy sugar cookies, chewy sugar cookies, soft cookies, eggnog cookies, christmas cookies
Recipes from my friends:
Mini Eggnog Cheesecake Cookie Bites from Grandbaby Cakes
Chocolate Caramel Ginger Cookies from I Am Baker
Eggnog Cupcakes from Life Love and Sugar
Other recipes you might like: