These festive Gingerbread Cupcakes are homemade and topped with a luscious Cinnamon Dulce de Leche buttercream frosting. These cupcakes have the perfect balance of cinnamon & ginger!
For the cupcake:
- ½ cup (110g) packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup (48g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (59ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup (59m) molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (48g) light sour cream
- 1 ½ cups (210g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons (5g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ½ cup (118ml) milk
For the frosting:
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter
- 4 cups (520g) powdered sugar
- 2 heaping tablespoons (30ml) dulce de leche (cold)
- 1 tablespoons (15ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1 heaping (2.5g) teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugars, vegetable oil, eggs, molasses and vanilla extract and sour cream. Beat on medium speed until the well combined. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all remaining dry ingredients. Then, add half the dry ingredients to the batter followed half the milk and beat until it starts to combine.
- Finally add the remaining dry ingredients, mixing on low speed while pouring in the milk and beating until all of the ingredients are well combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes. Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Cool Completely.
For the frosting:
- Cut the butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 3-4 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until butter looks light in color.
- Add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time and mix on low speed until incorporated into butter. The frosting will start to thicken. Begin to alternate adding the liquid ingredients while adding in additional powdered sugar. Add the cinnamon and pinch of salt last.
- Continue beating until all ingredients are combined and then beat it at a high speed for 2 minute to whip some additional air into the frosting. Pipe the cupcakes with an open round tip.
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gingerbread cupcakes, gingerbread dessert, thanksgiving dessert, christmas desserts