These Banana Pudding Cupcakes are made from scratch and are filled with a banana pudding and vanilla mousse and topped with dulce de leche.
For the cake:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large banana, smashed (about ½ cup)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cups milk (I use nonfat)
For the filling:
- ¼ cup instant banana or vanilla pudding powder
- ¾ cup milk
For the topping:
- 1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoons dulce de leche
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding
- Additional dulce de leche for garnish
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cupcake pan with liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Next mix in the smashed and beat until well combined.
- Add half the flour followed by the baking powder and salt, and beat on low speed while pouring in half of the milk and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate.
- Finally add the remaining flour, mixing on low speed while pouring in the remaining milk and beating until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed. Use a large cookie scoop to divide the batter evenly between the cupcakes liners, filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Test the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, you cake is done. Allow the cake to cool completely.
- For the filling: In a bowl, combine the instant pudding and the milk and stir until the powder dissolves. Refrigerate until the pudding is firm.
- Once firm, pour the pudding into a Ziploc (or piping) bag. Cut out the center of the cupcake using a knife or a cupcake corer. Fill the center of the cupcake with pudding.
- For the topping: Prepare your mixing bowl by placing in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to chill.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and beat until soft peaks form. Add the dulce de leche and beat until combined.
- Finally add the instant pudding mix and continue beating. The whipped cream with thicken quickly, beat it just until you feel the powder is combined.
- Use a large open star tip to pipe the mousse on to the cupcake. Garnish with dulce de leche. Keep refrigerated in an airtight container.