- 1 Box Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1/2 C Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Hot Chocolate
- 1 C Milk
- 3 Large eggs
- 1/2 C Vegetable oil
- 3/4 C Sour cream
- 2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
For the Hot Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 3 1/2 C Heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 C Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Hot Chocolate
For the Ganache
- 3 oz Dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 C Heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp Corn syrup
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour two 8” round pans.
- Prepare the cake batter first. Mix together cake mix and hot chocolate.
- Add milk ,eggs, oil, sour cream and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Divide batter evenly between each pan. Bake at 350° F for about 30-35 minutes.
- Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cupcakes are done. Allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, cut off the top dome of each layer so you are left with a flat top. Then cut each layer in half.
- Freeze cake layer for at least thirty minutes.
For the Whipped Cream Frosting:
- Freeze mixing bowl and wire whisk for 15 minutes.
- Pour heavy whipping cream in chilled bowl and beat on medium speed for several minutes until cream starts to thicken.
- Add hot chocolate to whipped cream mixture, continue to beat on medium for a couple minutes and increase speed to high until stiff peaks form.
- Refrigerate until cake is ready to frost.
- Prepare the ganache. Combine dark chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments until chocolate starts to melt slightly. Stir vigorously until smooth.
- Add corn syrup to melted chocolate and whisk to incorporate. Allow ganache to cool but not harden. If necessary, you can reheat in the microwave in 20 second increments until slightly melted again.
- Put a spoon full of whipped cream on your plate to help seal the bottom layer to the pan and prevent from moving.
- Alternate layers of cake and whipped cream. You don’t need to overfill each layer. Smooth over the top layer of whipped cream and poor cooled ganache over the top of smooth with a knife.
- Return cake to freezer and allow to freeze completely.
- Remove for 15-20 minutes before serving so cake is easier to cut into.
- Serving Size: 1- 8" layer cake, serves 8-10