This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details
This Hot Chocolate Poke Cake is a rich chocolate cake with hot fudge glaze and hot chocolate whipped cream. This post originally appeared on Chocolate Chocolate and More.
With the spirit of the holidays, I’ve been trying to remember those who are a bit less fortunate that me. This past week, a group of coworkers and myself volunteered at our local rescue mission to serve lunch. It was so much fun to hang out with the kitchen crew and serve a meal to those in need. While we were there, we set up for lunch, sliced pies, served a hot meal, helped clean up and even helped cut paper Christmas trees for their holiday party. It was nice to be able to get to know more about the organization, and how they help feed to community.
While I was there, I learned that they also take pre-made food donations. Not many organizations can accept this. I explained to them about my blog, and how I usually have tons of leftovers with no place to give it all out to. So this past weekend I made 4 no-bake desserts for my book, and a few different baked goods for my blog. My boyfriend and I drove to the mission yesterday and gave them all my desserts. Not only did they remember me from our volunteer day, but also they were so excited to try my desserts. I will defiantly be bringing them there more often.
Poke cakes are pretty popular around here. Whenever I bring them into work, my coworkers tell me it’s the best cake they have ever had. Sometimes I think they just forget that is what the said the last time I bought a cake to work! This Hot Chocolate Poke Cake is no exception.
It’s super simple. It starts out with a cake mix (but feel free to make your own chocolate cake from scratch), and then it is soaked in hot fudge and topped with my hot chocolate whipped cream. I swear by my hot chocolate whipped cream. Regular chocolate whipped cream just doesn’t compare. The hot chocolate powder makes this topping more thick and creamy like.
You don’t need to spend a lot of time in the kitchen to impress your friends. This is a really simple dessert that can be whipped together in no time. The longest you have to wait is for the cake to cool! Usually I pop it in the refrigerator to speed it up.
This weekend, we are attending my boyfriend’s family holiday party. Of course I am responsible for the desserts. I will be bringing his grandparent’s favorite cake, also known as Rachel’s Rum Cake, but I also need to figure out what else to make! I hope they don’t mind cookbook leftovers! Kidding (but totally not kidding).
Keep up with all the happenings. Follow Beyond Frosting:
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Hot Chocolate Poke Cake
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
This rich Hot Chocolate Poke Cake is topped with an airy Hot Chocolate Whipped Cream and drizzled with a hot fudge glaze.
For the Cake:
- ¾ cups milk, warmed
- 2 packets hot chocolate mix (.85 ounces each)
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup light sour cream
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Topping:
- 1 jar hot fudge sauce (about 13 ounces)
- 1 ¾ cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 packets hot chocolate mix (.85 ounces each)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a microwave-safe bowl or mug, heat milk for 60-90 seconds until hot. Add 2 packets of hot chocolate mix and whisk until powder is dissolved. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, sour cream, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Add mixed hot chocolate and beat on medium – high speed until all ingredients are well blended. Pour into a 9-inch by 13-inch pan and bake at 350°F for 20-24 minutes until cake is set. Test cake by inserting a toothpick into the center. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- While the cake is still warm, take the end of a wooden spoon or another round object and poke holes all over the top of your cake.
- Heat jar of hot fudge sauce according to the instructions on the jar. You may want to spoon into a bowl to make it easier to stir without bubbling over the top. Pour hot fudge sauce over top of cake so that hot fudge fills in the holes. Save a few tablespoons to drizzle on top. Allow the cake to completely cool.
- Place metal bowl and whisk in freezer for about 15 minutes so they are good and cold. Pour heavy whipping cream into mixing bowl and beat on high until bubbly. Add hot chocolate mix and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over cooled cake. Drizzle with any leftover hot fudge sauce. Cake must be refrigerated after adding the whipped cream.
This cake recipe is slightly adapted from The Cake Mix Doctor
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate cake, how to make chocolate cake, moist chocolate cake
Visit Beyond Frosting’s profile on Pinterest.
Other recipes you might like
Sinful Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake
Peanut Butter Chocolate Poke Cake
Recipes I love from my friends:
Ice Cream Poke Cake from Crazy for Crust
Tiramisu Poke Cake from The Domestic Rebel
Nutella Red Velvet Poke Cake from Life Love and Sugar