A lemon sugar cookie with a strawberry cream cheese frosting.
- 3/4 C Unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 C Sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 1/2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 1/2 C Flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
For the frosting
- 1/2 C Unsalted butter, cold
- 1 pkg Strawberry cream cheese (8oz)
- 3 C Powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp Heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Allow butter to come to room temperature for about 30 minutes. Combine butter and sugar in your stand mixer and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg is added. Add vanilla extract.
- Zest a lemon directly into the batter. Squeeze lemon juice through a fine sieve to avoid seeds getting into the batter. Beat well into batter.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add mixture into batter and mix until dough forms.
- Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Grease mini muffin pan with Crisco or cooking spray. Spoon 2 tablespoons of dough into your hands and roll into a ball. Drop into mini muffin pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Take a tart shaper or the back of a spoon and gently press down in the middle of the cookie to create a crater. Allow to cool in the muffin pan.
For the frosting
- Remove butter from the fridge and cut into 1” thick slices. Using your stand mixer, beat butter on medium speed until butter is smooth. You may have to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides.
- Add cream cheese to butter and beat until well mixed.
- Slowly add powdered sugar, one cup at a time while beating on low speed. If frosting is not thick enough, you can add additional powdered sugar.
- Last add heavy whipping cream and increase speed to medium higher. Beat for 60 seconds to incorporate air into the frosting.
- Refrigerate frosting for at least one hour. This is optional, but I highly recommend it.
- Frost cooled cookies right before serving. Once frosted, cookies will need to be refrigerated.
Remove butter 30 minutes before making frosting. Refrigerate frosting for at least one hour. Frost just before serving for best results.