Celebrate with these Patriotic Rice Krispie Treat S’mores. Red and blue Rice Krispie Treats smothered in marshmallow frosting and dipped in chocolate. Finish it off by rolling them in graham crackers.
- 15 oz bags Mini Marshmallows (1 ½ bags)
- 4 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1 box Rice Krispie cereal- Family Size (24 oz)
- Wilton Color Right Blue gel
- Wilton Color Right Red gel
- For the marshmallow frosting
- 2 large Egg whites
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ C Sugar
- ¾ C Corn syrup (hot).
- ½ bag Wilton S’mores Candy Melts
- ½ bag Wilton White Candy Melts
- Crushed Graham Crackers (optional)
- Divide Rice Krispie cereal in half. Pour half in a large mixing bowl.
- Prepare the Rice Krispie Treats (RKT) by combining 2 tbsp butter and 3/4 of a bag of mini marshmallows in a medium-sized saucepan. Stir over medium heat until marshmallows are melted. Drop in 3 drops of blue Wilton Blue Color Right Gel. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the blue marshmallows over ½ of the cereal. Mix with a spatula until the cereal is fully coated.
- Grease a large baking pan or cookie sheet (I used 12”x17”). Spoon cereal and marshmallow mixture into the pan. Use a spatula and spread evenly. Use a piece of wax paper over the top and gently press mixture into pan. You want to have somewhat of a thin, compact layer of RKT. Leave them to harden for at least 30 minutes.
- Repeat the above using the other half of your cereal and marshmallow but using Wilton Red Color Right Gel (3 drops). You should have two separate pans, one with blue Rice Krispie Treats and one with Red Rice Krispie Treats.
- Prepare your frosting by following this recipe while your treats are setting. You will have extra frosting, but that’s okay!
- Use a juice glass or cookie cutter and cut your RKT into circles. You should get 12 of each color.
- Use a spoon or piping bag to put marshmallow frosting on one side of the treat. Put the contrasting color RKT on top.
- For the candy melts, if you are doing separate flavors, you can use a melting pot, or you can heat in the microwave. I used about a half bag of each the S’mores flavor and the white candy melts, which is more than you need, but you don’t want to be short.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine candy melts and one tablespoon Crisco vegetable shortening. Microwave in 45-second increments and stir occasionally until melted and smooth.
- Dip Rice Krispie Sandwich into candy melts and put on parchment paper to allow chocolate to set; about 10-15 minutes. Top with sprinkles. Refrigerate to speed up.
- Optional: roll one side of the Rice Krispie Treats in crushed graham crackers.
- Serve within one day.
It’s very helpful to spray you spatula with a cooking spray in order to help the marshmallows from sticking.
For the frosting recipe visit: climbinggriermountain.com and search fudge-brownies-with-marshmallow-frosting
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: 4th of july desserts, 4th of july food ideas, rice krispie treats